Keyboard with integrated usb ports?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
Are there any keyboards out there with integrated USB ports besides Apple's? I ordered the macally icekey and received it today. I was very excited about it, then very disappointed when I set it up and found out that the USB ports don't work or are 1.1. I'm sending it back. I don't want to pay for a keyboard with USB ports only to have to buy a USB hub. Any recommendations would be great!! I like moshi's celesta, but it's too expensive. Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The USB ports on Apple's keyboards are 1.1 also. They aren't powered, and you can't use them with anything that needs a 2.0 port.

OP
kuklachica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
They are?? Then why wouldn't the macally ones work?? When I hooked up my iPod that the I got an error message that said the keyboard couldn't give it enough power. And when I plugged in my mouse receivor it didn't work either. but no error message. What would that mean?? Grrr.... I get frustrated when I have to send things back.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
They are?? Then why wouldn't the macally ones work?? When I hooked up my iPod that the I got an error message that said the keyboard couldn't give it enough power. And when I plugged in my mouse receivor it didn't work either. but no error message. What would that mean?? Grrr.... I get frustrated when I have to send things back.

ALL keyboard USB Ports I have tried either on OSX or Windows have that issue. Remember what the other poster said, Power. Your iPod needs Power and no Keyboard USB port (Apples included) will give it power. I do have 2 flash drives that are such low power they work on both my Apple and MacAlly USB ports.

I have that Macally keyboard and like it.

OP
kuklachica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My iPod charges and syncs without any problems while plugged into my new apple keyboard (the newly released ones).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My iPod charges and syncs without any problems while plugged into my new apple keyboard (the newly released ones).

None of my iPods, (20GB, Mini and Nano) do here with the standard White Apple keyboard that was in use until that new thin one. If you have the thin one, why do you want a MacAlly?

Picture 1.jpg

OP
kuklachica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wanted the macally because I don't like the macbook style keyboard. I want more input when I type. Just typing these posts has been very annoying. And it is very flat.

That is the error message I got when I tried to plug my iPod into the macally. What would the USB ports be used for then? Things that have their own power source, like a printer, external HDD, etc? I always assumed keyboard USB ports were for mice, etc. The mouse receiver didn't even work on the macally, but I didn't receive an error message.

Reaction score
yeah get a macally keyboard, it works great, I use it every day... Mine cost something like 20 bucks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is why your new Apple keyboard works with your iPod. I am shocked someone else had not noticed this leave alone me.

"Two USB 2.0 ports provide high-speed connectivity for your iPod, Mighty Mouse, digital camera, and other USB-based electronic devices. Yes, we did think of everything."

http://www.apple.com/keyboard/

Too bad you and the keyboard do not get along. Hope other people start using USB 2.0 ports on their keyboards.

OP
kuklachica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never had a keyboard with USB ports, so when I got this new one I assumed that they were all like this! Hmm... maybe I'm liking this one a little better. I'll see what else is out there as well.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never had a keyboard with USB ports, so when I got this new one I assumed that they were all like this! Hmm... maybe I'm liking this one a little better. I'll see what else is out there as well.

A word about that new Apple Keyboard. A LOT of Macbook users at first did not like their keyboards but after a few weeks changed after they got used to them and now love they way they type and feel. Give it a try for a while. It might grow on you. I am a VERY picky person with my keyboards. I can fly on my Macally and my iBooks.

OP
kuklachica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the words of encouragement :) However, I've been using a macbook since June (my district-issued computer) and I don't really like the keyboard. But I will keep trying to use this keyboard to save money and still have the USB ports. It might actually be easier in the long run since the keyboards will be consistent at home and at work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
The USB ports on Apple's keyboards are 1.1 also. They aren't powered, and you can't use them with anything that needs a 2.0 port.

The new (Aug 7) keyboards are 2.0 actually.

Reaction score
I'm relieved. I just purchased the new Keyboard with the impression that the USB ports were 2.0. Then I read this and started to get scared. Now I am happy again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4 gHz, 2 gb RAM
Is there something special about a external hard drive that connects via USB? I have a 120 gig Western Digital HD and it will not work on the USB ports on the Apple keyboard. I have tried it on two keyboards with no luck. The HD works fine on the rear USB ports.

EDIT: From reading the discussions on the Apple disucssion forum, it appears that the USB ports on the keyboard are not, in fact, able to power ipods, iphones, etc. for quite a few people. Sounds like they "thought" of everything, but that the execution may be a bit faulty.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you talking the brand new Flat Apple keyboard? I just messed with one today, On iMac, PowerMac it worked great with USB Sticks, Ipods plugged right into it, but on an old G4 Mac Mini the Memory Stick would not work. Seems to depend one the USB ports in the machine. I will know for sure soon as I am ordering one in a day or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you talking the brand new Flat Apple keyboard? I just messed with one today, On iMac, PowerMac it worked great with USB Sticks, Ipods plugged right into it, but on an old G4 Mac Mini the Memory Stick would not work. Seems to depend one the USB ports in the machine. I will know for sure soon as I am ordering one in a day or so.
Yes. One thing that is odd is that the first keyboard (at least the left USB port) worked with my external hard drive the first three or four times. Then it would work for a while and then shut off in mid-transfer. Now it doesn't work at all -- the hard drive just clicks -- and it won't work at all on any ports, either on the first flat keyboard I had or the replacement Apple sent me. Also, other people have reported probems using ipods, so maybe some keyboard ports work and some don't, or maybe they work sometimes under certain conditions.

When I spoke to Apple Care about the first keyboard, the tech guy said the ports were USB 1.1. I pointed out that the web site said they were 2.0, and he looked it up and acted surprised when he saw it. He thought it should work with my drive, which is why he sent me a new one.

I'm going to call Apple Care again and find out if they have any more information about this problem. I love my iMac anyway, but having the two USB ports accessible would be a real nice feature. It's a pain to have to reach into the back of the machine every every time I want to use my ipod or external drive.

OP
kuklachica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just looked at the Apple discussion forum. It's weird that so many people are having this problem! Mine works fantastically! I plug my iPod in and sync and charge it every day with no problem. I wonder... if you got this keyboard with the new iMac (as I did) if the ports DO work, and if you got it and put it with an older mac, if they don't work? Maybe this could be the reason?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got mine with the new aluminum iMac. It's supposed to work with the new ones, but I'm not having any luck with the hard drive still.

OP
kuklachica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is really odd. I've had nothing but great success with my keyboard's USB ports (althought I can't stand the keyboard itself). Have you checked for any updates to your computer? I'd call applecare (if you haven't already). Like I said, I have had absolutely NO problems syncing and charging my 30 GB, generation 5 iPod through the keyboard (which is hooked up directly to the computer), and also have my mouse wireless receiver plugged into it. Is your keyboard plugged into the computer directly or to an USB hub? That could be a problem, possibly. Otherwise, I don't know what to say. It seems that the keyboards are MEANT to be able to power things since it does work for some people. I hope you figure it out! Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.