Audio stuttering from Imac to HDTV

Reaction score
Hey.

Got a new smart HDTV, and turns out the good old setup with Minidisplay to HDMI adapter, and a HDMI cable plugged in the TV, does not work properly. Audio stuttering every 5-10 sec. Sees like the picture isn´t perfect either...

NB! If i plug the hdmi into a reciever and then plug this into TV, the sound is good... But I wanna plug it directly into the tv.

I have an Imac mid 2010 (snow leopard) and a Philips Smart TV .

Anyone solutions to this? Seems like it´s compability problems with Imac and new HDTVs?

Thanks. Chris.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Actually you likely are better off connecting through the receiver. If I'm not mistaken, the problem is that you are making the iMac do all of the video and audio processing. If you connect it to the receiver, then the iMac simply passes the tracks through and the receiver is handling the media decoding, like AC3 and DTS. An AVR is dedicated to and optimized for this. A computer is not.

You would think the iMac can handle this on its own, but that may be dependent on how your media is encoded and even if you have other issues with your system like heavy fragmentation or low drive space. The problem may even be the cable you are using, though I'm skeptical on this since it works with the receiver. Basically, we'd need to know a lot more details on these items to be more certain.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.