iMac intermittent internet, PCs work fine

ddr

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first post to MacForums. I am at a loss for what to do and I really hope somebody can help me out. Here's my problem:

I just bought a new iMac this morning and, upon setting it up, have been receiving intermittent internet connectivity all day. We have a wireless network set up through Verizon DSL (ActionTec GT704WG gateway), and the two PC laptops connected to the internet (wirelessly) have had 100% connectivity throughout the day. My iMac also connects to the internet, but only for a short while (not long enough to download a software update).

The weird thing to me is, even when my internet “drops,” my AirPort icon in the top right of the screen still shows full bars. If I “Turn AirPort Off” and then “Turn AirPort On” again I get the internet back for a short time. I have been on the phone with Verizon customer service all day, and even though I allowed the tech to remotely assist, he could not fix the problem permanently either.

Here's my info:
21.5” iMac
Mac OS X 10.6.4
3.06 GHz
500GB HD
4GB Memory

Again, none of the three computers (my iMac or the two PC laptops) are connected with an Ethernet cable. The PCs have been connecting perfectly all day. I have tried turning the router off/on, resetting it, and all that but to no avail. Please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Things to try:
1. Turn off the wireless security on your router (temporarily) - do you still have the same problems?
2. Make sure the router is using WPA rather than WEP as it's wireless security protocol.
3. Make sure none of your wireless devices are trying to use the same IP address.

Post back with results or for more info.

OP
D

ddr

Reaction score
Thanks mrplow,

1. Turning the security off did seem to temporarily fix the problem
2. It was on WEP, so I switched to WPA per your suggestion
3. No other device is trying to use the same IP address

Switching to WPA seems to have fixed the problem so far, thank you so much! I only switched about ten minutes ago, so if it drops again I will let you know. So far though, it looks good to go.

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.