iBook G3 Internet Trouble

Reaction score
Hi folks--

I have an old iBook G3 from 2002--128 mb. RAM. I take this computer to proverbial wireless "hot spots" and i cannot even get the most common web sites to load properly. (YouTube, Facebook, etc.) The pictures and video boxes don't even load at all. Basically, this computer cannot upload any images from the Internet and is very slow. This happens with both IE and Safari--the computer will not support anything above Safari 1.0.3. It will also not support Firefox or newer versions of IE. (Currently Internet Explorer 5.2 is the version on the computer) Anyone have any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi folks--

I have an old iBook G3 from 2002--128 mb. RAM. I take this computer to proverbial wireless "hot spots" and i cannot even get the most common web sites to load properly. (YouTube, Facebook, etc.) The pictures and video boxes don't even load at all. Basically, this computer cannot upload any images from the Internet and is very slow. This happens with both IE and Safari--the computer will not support anything above Safari 1.0.3. It will also not support Firefox or newer versions of IE. (Currently Internet Explorer 5.2 is the version on the computer) Anyone have any ideas?

This question gets asked all the time. Your laptop is very old, with old computer hardware (slow CPU & old outdated GPU). With an iBook G3...don't even bother going to You-Tube...or any websites that are highly image or video driven!!!:(

I have a G3 iBook in my collection...and I follow my own advice!;)

You got to get a newer laptop if you really want to visit these sites.

HTH,

- Nick

Edit: By the way...your iBook will definitely support a version of Safari greater than 1.0.3. I am currently running OS 10.4.11 on my iBook...with version 4.0.3 of Safari. So you may need to update your iBooks OS before you can use newer versions of Safari. Of course the cost of purchasing the newer OS software may cost more than your iBook is worth!

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Nick--I was afraid of that. As for Safari, I meant that it wouldn't run under OS 10.2.8--which I know is obsolete--I guess I should have mentioned that. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hey there! I am on my iBook G3 500...running 10.3.9 and have been using Camino, which is Mozilla-based,stable and fast..a very good browser...even on dial-up as I am...
There is still an unsupported version for 10.2.8....check out the Camino download page
If you want to upgrade to 10.3.9, there are retail upgrades for 10.3 available on eBay and also the update cd's to 10.3.9
I am sure your iBook has a lot of life left
(but, as the others have said,not for YouTube)
good luck!

OP
J
Reaction score
Faster than IE, but as people mentioned, not much in terms of image-driven sites. Solid browser, though.

Reaction score
Glad to hear it works!
You may want to upgrade the OS AND the ram of course!
Here's a link to LowEndMac's current prices for OS 10.0>10.3...you may do better on eBay...just remember RETAIL upgrade!:)
have fun!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.