Restart and 3 Beeps - What Gives?

Reaction score
Hi, all- I think I've done my due diligence and searched the forum, but couldn't find this problem, at least as I have it.

So,
I have a 15" MBP running OS X 10.5.7. When I go under the apple symbol and attempt to restart, I get a grey screen and 3 loud beeps and a pulsing light in front, which repeat themselves. Consequently, I have to power down by pressing the power button. When I power up again, it seems to come up fine, and everything seems to work. It is only the restart function that is giving me problems. Most 3-beep problems I have seen have to do with installing new memory, which I have not done. I also reset SMC, and this didn't do anything. It seems to me that that this problem began after I downloaded some recent updates, one of which was an SMC Firmware update, but I don't know if there is any correlation.

Any thoughts? Thanks very much in advance.

Todd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day Todd and welcome to the forums.

Three beeps indicates either one of:-

No RAM installed.

Defective RAM. Installed any new modules?

Loose RAM. Replaced modules or undone clips?

RAM slot failure.

Have a look at this link:-

macbook makes beeping sound and wont start - ehMac.ca

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks, Harry. Well, I haven't any new RAM or touched or modified existing. So, I'm thinking the RAM might need to be reseated. But as I'm on travel I don't have the right tools. I'll have to go look for some.

Cheers.

Todd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Hi Todd, would you please share your results after reseating your RAM? coz I am having the exact same problem you mentioned.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.