iTunes from C++

Reaction score
I am trying to port a Trolltech QT application written in C++ to Mac which works fine on the PC. The UI portion ported very easily but now trying to interface to iTunes has become a problem.

The application interfaces with iTunes to simply detect whether an iPod is connected or not. On the PC there are functions in the COM interface to query if an iPod is connected and then events to detect when it is removed or another is added.

The Apple supplied demo shows using system calls to start AppleTalk scripts that control iTunes. For me there are 2 problems with this solution, 1) its one way communication, i need to also be notified by iTunes and 2) it feels error prone (of course maybe this is a common practice on the mac in which case i will gladly use it).

I guess I'm just wondering if someone could give me some hints on how I should go about talking to iTunes in a C++ Mac Osx application. (10.5 is going to be the required version if that helps)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 (late 2005) 2GHz DC, 16GB RAM, ATI X1900, 2*Nvidia Geforce 6600
Don't know if it's possible with iTunes.

IOKit/Corefoundation has mechanism to get notified about new and removed devices, but it's Objective C.

You can find some info in the ADC Reference

Xcode 2.5 ->> file:///Developer/ADC%20Reference%20Library/documentation/DeviceDrivers/Conceptual/AccessingHardware/AH_Finding_Devices/chapter_4_section_2.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000379-TPXREF108

or as pdf (page 38 - Getting Notifications of Device Arrival and Departure) http://developer.apple.com/document...ptual/AccessingHardware/AccessingHardware.pdf

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.