Upgrading to Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Can I still upgrade to Snow Leopard from Tiger (10.4) for $29, or do I have to pay the $170? Also, I know this is a stupid question, but upgrading will also reformat my computer, yes? Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can I still upgrade to Snow Leopard from Tiger (10.4) for $29, or do I have to pay the $170? Also, I know this is a stupid question, but upgrading will also reformat my computer, yes? Thanks.

If you do not own a single user license for OS 10.5 "Leopard"...you are supposed to purchase the $169 Mac Box Set. Or you can purchase a retail copy of Leopard, and then purchase the 10.6 Snow Leopard $29 dollar disk.

And no...upgrading will not reformat your computer...but it's always a good idea to back everything up just in case there is a problem.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Upgrading from Tiger to Snow Leopard using the upgrade disc violates the EULA for Snow Leopard. According to the EULA, "If you have purchased an Upgrade for Mac OS X Leopard license, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer as long as that computer has a properly licensed copy of Mac OS X Leopard already installed on it." (Section 2C).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
*tiptoes around a yes or no answer*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.