Removing Keys Guide

Reaction score
Hey there.

So a while back I spilled milk in my macbook pro 15" late '08 model. For a while the keys were sticky but soon enough the keys started working fine.

My problem is that there's a ton of grime underneath the keyboard and my keyboard's LED light isn't lighting up the entire keyboard (just third of it in the center). I figure by cleaning, I can get rid of the grime AND hopefully get the keyboard lighting up a bit more.

Anyhoo, can someone lead me to a guide where I can find out how to remove the keys on my keyboard? I really DON'T want to break anything, but a replacement keyboard/keys isn't out of my budget so I'm willing to try.

Also if I used a q-tip to clean, what should I put on it? I've heard multiple things from water to alcohol to windex.

Thank you!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
ifixit.com is the first place to check for guides

OP
S
Reaction score
ifixit.com is the first place to check for guides

Thanks...actually I checked ifixit before coming here and they only had guides on removing the keyboard or taking apart the entire computer. However, with a little more searching in the questions section, I managed to find a link to this:

http://www.thebookyard.com/images/manuals/keyreplace.pdf

Anyways, this was a waste of a thread. =p

*question answered*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.