Finder keeps refreshing/restarting

Reaction score
I just upgraded a mac mini (powerpc) from 10.3.9 to 10.4.10.

Everything seemed to go fine, but now the finder keeps restarting, well, more like refreshing every few minutes.

Any windows showing disks or folders quit and the finder refreshes and reloads itself. Though any apps running don't quit and stay open just fine. Just the finder in the background keeps doing it. Very annoying.

In addition all apps have been renamed when I upgraded to ADDAPPNAME.app. Does 10.4 add the .app to all applications or something. I don't remember seeing this on any other mac. :|

OP
O
Reaction score
Well, I thought it wasn't affecting much, but now that I start using apps and the finder refreshes in the background every few minutes it switches me from the app I am using back to the finder causing me to go back to the app I was using to keep working.

So far I am thinking I should have stayed with 10.3.9 on this Mac Mini.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
what does "ADDAPPNAME.app" even do? if it seems to be causing your issues, get rid of it.

M

MacHeadCase

I'm with eric: never heard of that application and a google doesn't bring anything up other than your post in here. And the name is all caps? Looks like Windozey stuff to me. ;)

Perhaps you did an Archive and Install to upgrade the OS and you are trying to use an old program that isn't Tiger compatible.

OP
O
Reaction score
No, I meant that OSX 10.4 added ".app" to every application in my system. I am not sure why it did, but it did and still showing. They all work correctly, but for some reason if .app was a hidden extension before I upgraded it's now a visible one. :)

As far as the refresh goes I found the answer in another forum (after a LOT of searching). Apparently the refresh was because the finder was crashing due to a outdated startup item. So I removed the ones I didn't need, and made sure the ones I did need were compatible with 10.4.10, and now it's completely stable.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
is the .APP extension still showing?

Click on Finder and up in the toolbar click Finder then Preferences. Click on the Advanced TAB and see if there is a Check mark by Show All File Extensions. If so uncheck it.

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2.jpg

M

MacHeadCase

Ohhhh. LOL

Well that's just because you have set up your system to show the extensions. That certainly is not a problem but if you'd rather have them off, trav has the solution (he usually does 'cuz he's good :D )!

Reaction score
Finder refreshing

i got the same problem on my mbp where the desktop keeps refreshing when i click on an icon... kinda frustrating cuz it will close the menu i'm on... does anyone have any ideas about what would be doing this?? thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
try repairing the disk permissions, maybe?

OP
O
Reaction score
That fixed it, and I was sure it was pretty much that, but just didn't change them yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Though keep in mind I didn't set it that way in the first place. When I upgraded from 10.3.9 to 10.4.6 (and then to 10.4.10) it did it for me. How nice of apple to be looking out for me and my extensions. Though I should have gotten a weave instead. ;)

Reaction score
i've repaired to permissions and cleared the ram and it still does it without any external drives present.... don't know why it does it... never did it before i wiped out my hd and reinstalled osx... very strange

Reaction score
actually i was searching the forum.. but i found that a certain version of stuffit is causing the "refreshing" problem i was having. So i found a patch and the issue is no longer there! see if that may be your problem too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.