ATV2 and External Hard Drive

Reaction score
I am in the process of transferring all of my media on iTunes to an External Hard Drive to free up space on my iMac. Ive already consolidated libraries and have my iTunes pulling the music and movies from the folder on the ExHD while I am using my iMac. I want to know how to get Apple TV to play from the hard hard drive as well. If I connect my ATV2 to my network via ethernet cable, can this be done? Right now I am using the ATV2 wirelessly, but can hard wire it if I have to.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you have successfully moved your iTunes library to your external disk you can still access that via HomeSharing (so long as your iMac is powered up with iTunes running).

Exactly the same as it would if the content was on the internal drive.

If the external disk is connected to the network directly (a nas drive) and youwant to get access to the content directly without the Mac being on you'll need to Jailbreak and use XBMC or similar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.