best Mac for producing video/multimedia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac book pro
Hello
I have done some Mac comparing on the Mac store and am so confused

If there are any Mac, (real Living) Pros out there that can help me I would be so very greatful.

my choices are these three and I dont understand all the tec and specs given.

MacBook Pro with Retina display
15-inch: 2.7GHz Retina display
$2,599.00

27-inch iMacs
27-inch
$1,699.00

Mac Pro
Quad-Core
$2,299.00

Here is a link to the comparisons:
http://store.apple.com/us_edu_48716/compare/mac?page=mac#

My questions is what will be best as far as the processor, optical drive and graphics for the price and for storing and editing thousands music, photos and video?
I do a lot of work with PhotoShop and Final Cut Pro.

I have a Mac book Pro 2.66 GHz INtel Core i7 with 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory.
however I have no idea what that means.
I know how to do fancy thing on it but I never learned about the inner workings of my laptop.
It has been good to me yet now is very slow to repsond, crashes on me and the screen is too small.
Thank you for reading and for any advice you can give me!
Maria

C

chas_m

I would strongly recommend you hold out for a bit longer. The rumor mill (which could be wrong) says Apple will be updating the Mac Pro (or replacing it) very soon, possibly this month.

If you're going to be working on a pro level with PS and FCP, you need the Mac Pro. The other two are very capable machines as well and more than adequate for typical editing work, but it sounds to me like you need a full-time, expandable, moneymaker machine that can use tons of RAM and storage.

Wait for the Thunderbolt Mac Pro if you can. Nobody knows when its coming out exactly, but right about now would be one of the best times for it TO come out, and we have a promise from the CEO that one *is* coming out this year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.