Gaming Mouse??

Reaction score
Hello
I'd like recommendations on wireless gaming mouses that could be used without a dongle.

Most wireless mouses come with a dongle, but I'd like one that would be recognized by OSX in a MacBook Pro Retina without using the dongle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
you would have to use a Bluetooth mouse, which is not conducive to gaming. The polling for BT mice is too slow to allow for the fast-paced games. Even for something like World of Warcraft, BT mice have startup delays even when not used for a few seconds. This is why true gaming mice have their own dongles.

I use the Logitech G700 which has a tiny, low-profile dongle. You will need a small app called Steermouse in order to program it, however, as Logitech seems to not want to program for OSX.

I like the Razor mice for gaming, and I am waiting to get one of their new ones. Razor has had the foresight to actually code for OSX. However I dont usually buy products until the old ones die. The one I am looking at getting is the Ouroboros: Razer Ouroboros Gaming Mouse - Ambidextrous Ergonomics Mouse

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Deckyon, thank you for your answer.
There are some mouse that support both wired mode for gaming and wireless for other uses, like Razer Orochi.

AFAIK, its wireless mode is via bluetooth, so I wonder if Mac OS would recognize it. I don't want to buy 2 mouses, one for gaming and one Apple Magic Mouse. Also, MacBook has only 3 USB ports, so I don't wanna lose one with a dongle. However, I don't care if I had to wire it when playing games.

Unfortunately I don't live in the US, so I'll try to buy one mouse in a trip to Japan. I'm trying to get a list of mouses that meet those requirements, since I don't know what I'm going to find there. Orochi, your G700 and Ouroboros are on the list (it seems that Ouroboros already launched there).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Bluetooth is not conducive to gaming. It's polling is too slow, making the mouse's optics to go to sleep, so to speak, after a short period of inactivity. I have put this to the test, and it is annoying when trying to get the mouse moving only to have it be a heartbeat too slow in many cases.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes, what I meant to say is that there are mouses that are wired and wireless. You use bluetooth for common applications and plug the wire when playing games.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.