• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Quality loss exporting from FCP using QT converter for upload to Youtube

Reaction score
Hi, I'm using a Hauppauge HD PVR to capture video game footage for uploading to Youtube. I use Eye TV for recording, and when I export a video from there, the quality looks pretty good in quicktime. Then, I import it into Final Cut Pro, render, voice over, then export it using quicktime conversion. I make the size 1280x720, I choose MPEG-4 video, quality is set to best, and fps at current. After I export it, I notice the quality is diminished slightly, but it is noticeable. I've experimented with many different settings, but I come up with the same result or worse. Under capture settings, I have it to DV NTSC 48 kHz Anamorphic. I had changed this to anamorphic because before, I was getting letterboxing, and switching to anamorphic seemed to fix that. Under sequence>settings, the frame size is at 720x480, NTSC DV (3:2). Pixel aspect ratio is set to NTSC - CCIR 601 DV (720x480). Compressor is set to DV/DVCPRO - NTSC. I tried changing the frame size to 1280x720 HDTV 720p (16:9), but that shrunk the video in the canvas window, and after exporting, it looked even worse. I know this is a lot of info, but I figure I'd have to give it eventually, haha. Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Try exporting your videos from FCP to Compressor. There is a setting for youtube videos I use it all the time and I get a 1280x720 resolution. In Compressor click settings - then go through folders - Apple - Other Workflows - Web - select Youtube sharing. You can double click on the setting and customize the video quality, the frame rate and the resolution.

Hope this helps.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion! But I don't have Compressor. Are there any other options or ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.