Install Snow Leopard over Lion

Reaction score
I have been searching the internet for answers on this very question with no conclusive answer. Anyone know if when I eventually get my MacBook Air if I can install Snow Leopard on it, even though (assuming) it came pre-installed with Lion? Of course, I plan on buying Snow Leopard in which to do this install. And if I was able to do this, what would happen with the iLife '11 that came pre-installed? The information I read that suggested I might be able to install Snow Leopard on a MBA where Lion had been the original OS said that it wipes the hard drive clean before re-installing the OS via Disk Utility. I have never done anything like this on a mac before, but did something along these lines several years ago with an old PC.
I have head of Lion removing programs that SL had and how buggy it is, not to mention it is apparently more labour intensive and therefore slower. These are my reasons for wanting to have SL instead of Lion.
Anybody able to weigh in on this?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's not slower here. Not in the least. Faster especially with the 64-Bit apps that come with it. SL has bugs that I doubt they will ever fix. Like the Bluetooth battery level that was changed with an update and shows 100% when the battery is 3/4 dead. Many including me have asked for a fix and nothing. Most of the so called bugs in lion are not bugs. There are a few like lower battery life with SOME MBP's but not all. Those Apple is aware of.

To your question, a New Mac will only run at the oldest with the OS that it came with. There are hundreds here who have asked that same question about installing an older OSX than what they new mac shipped with and it's the same answer. No.

There might be an illegal way but we will not discuss that here. :D

There are differences in Lion that bug some people like Mission Control being both Expose and Spaces together, but I like it that way, but many do not. Took me a couple of days to get used to it.

Anyway, that is all the info I have on it. Why not try Lion a few weeks and see, you might love it. I am 99.99% sure though no older OS than what the MBA ships with.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To reinforce what Dennis said, you can not install Snow Leopard on your new MBA as there are no drivers included for your model. That same restriction applies to all new 2011 model Macs that have Lion factory pre-installed.

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
OK thanks guys for the information. I guess when I get my MBA I will persevere and get used to Lion. I have just been very happy with SL on my iMac 24".

One other question if you will, I just bought today off amazon iLife '09. If my MBA (assuming I get a new 2011 model) comes without iWeb and iDVD, will I be able to install those programs from iLife '09 onto the MBA even though it will have the rest of iLife '11 already installed on it minus iWeb and iDVD?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OK thanks guys for the information. I guess when I get my MBA I will persevere and get used to Lion. I have just been very happy with SL on my iMac 24".

One other question if you will, I just bought today off amazon iLife '09. If my MBA (assuming I get a new 2011 model) comes without iWeb and iDVD, will I be able to install those programs from iLife '09 onto the MBA even though it will have the rest of iLife '11 already installed on it minus iWeb and iDVD?

I own iLife 09. I did a totally CLEAN install of Lion when it came out and have kept it up to date. iLife 09 works great in Lion. iWeb and iDVD works.

Hope that helps.

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
Not really. I guess I am not as Mac-literate as I would like to be. Just wondered because said machine will already have most of iLife '11 already installed if I will have a problem installing 2 components only of an older version on it?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can try it later on my other lion mac and get back to you. You should be able to select just iWeb and iDVD. Will try it tonight and get back to you.

It's said that the new Macs no longer ship with iDVD or iWeb as Apple is ditching those apps, so I just kept 09. I do have the new iPhoto installed though from 011 which I purchased from the app store.

Update, just tried it, You can pick just iWeb and iDVD like I thought you could. It's an options menu just before it starts to install.

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
Thanks Dennis. Much appreciated! That's exactly why I bought iLife '09 yesterday on amazon. Got it for 20 bucks plus shipping. Pretty good deal. I really like iDVD and would like to play around with iWEB. Now I just hope I get my MBA from the hubby and kids or else I will just have to order one myself!
Cathy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.