Best printer for a die hard mac user

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27 I5-MBA 13-Ipad 2 Iphone 4 -ATV 2G
Would realy appreciate some input on a popular printer that would go nicely
with my 27 iMac 2011 2.7 i5 12gram & my 13 mbp 2010 8 g ram, I am leaning towards the
HP ENVY 110 but its a bit expensive, but its a nice printer..

thanx in advance..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I own an HP, a Canon, and Epson printers. All three are supported and have drivers for Mountain Lion. It's important to buy a printer that supports your Mac with the latest drivers. And yes, the HP Envy is a very nice printer.

OP
pharealmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I own an HP, a Canon, and Epson printers. All three are supported and have drivers for Mountain Lion. It's important to buy a printer that supports your Mac with the latest drivers. And yes, the HP Envy is a very nice printer.

I dont know much about printers,could you please reccomend one for me,that will work well
I will basicaly only printing doc,s & photos,I would like a hp, is your hp running with M\L & which model is it,does it cost much..

thanx in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I got my Epson WF-7510 from Retravision for $250.
Havnt changed ink on it yet, it has special nozzles to limit ink, and print Pictures quite well too.

I powered it up, hooked it up to my WIFI network and was printing from my MBP and iPhone in no time at all.
You didnt really give us a price range you had in mind, but being in Aust myself, for the $250 i couldnt be any happier with this printer, and has overrun any other printer i have had in the past. . . .
So see if the Good Guys have one you like then offer them cash and drop the price. I even haggled $13 out of the blokes at Retravision.

Cheers

OP
pharealmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got my Epson WF-7510 from Retravision for $250.
Havnt changed ink on it yet, it has special nozzles to limit ink, and print Pictures quite well too.

I powered it up, hooked it up to my WIFI network and was printing from my MBP and iPhone in no time at all.
You didnt really give us a price range you had in mind, but being in Aust myself, for the $250 i couldnt be any happier with this printer, and has overrun any other printer i have had in the past. . . .
So see if the Good Guys have one you like then offer them cash and drop the price. I even haggled $13 out of the blokes at Retravision.

Cheers

thanx for the input-i like it,the fact you can print from iPhone,very useful,i have iphone & ipad to,stores are selling anywhere from 230 to 270 its in my price range..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...I am leaning towards the
HP ENVY 110 but its a bit expensive, but its a nice printer..

thanx in advance..

Sometimes when you want the "Best" (as the thread title says)...expensive is part of the equation!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What is your budget?
Do you want a network printer or do you want one hooked directly to one computer?
Do you want the ability to scan and fax? Do you want an Auto Document feeder to help with scanning/faxing?
Do you want to print from iOS (iPhone/iPad)?
How often do you print color?

General recommendations
- look for Airprint and Bonjour support - with Bonjour support you don't even need drivers - the printer pretty much just shows up. (I have Canon MG6200 that has this)
- look for multiple color ink cartridges - the HP Envy 110 has the tri-color cartridge - so if you run out of one color you'll still have to replace the entire color cartridge. Other printers give you the cyan, magenta, yellow separate (some of the higher end printers have 6 color cartridges for more range of color)
-If you do a lot of scanning consider an Auto Document Feeder - with duplex so it is easier to scan in stacks of paper
-If you do a lot of printing - consider a duplexer so you can print dual sided easily
-Make sure the printer has support for the photo-paper size that you like to use.

As stated, Epson, Canon, and HP are all respected brands. Personally I have had very good luck with Canon and have stuck with them. I strayed once to HP - but that printer only lasted me a year - but many others swear by HP and my sample size of one is not a good measure. That being said - since it is my money - I chose to take it elsewhere when the HP printer failed in 1 year.

OP
pharealmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is your budget?
Do you want a network printer or do you want one hooked directly to one computer?
Do you want the ability to scan and fax? Do you want an Auto Document feeder to help with scanning/faxing?
Do you want to print from iOS (iPhone/iPad)?
How often do you print color?

General recommendations
- look for Airprint and Bonjour support - with Bonjour support you don't even need drivers - the printer pretty much just shows up. (I have Canon MG6200 that has this)
- look for multiple color ink cartridges - the HP Envy 110 has the tri-color cartridge - so if you run out of one color you'll still have to replace the entire color cartridge. Other printers give you the cyan, magenta, yellow separate (some of the higher end printers have 6 color cartridges for more range of color)
-If you do a lot of scanning consider an Auto Document Feeder - with duplex so it is easier to scan in stacks of paper
-If you do a lot of printing - consider a duplexer so you can print dual sided easily
-Make sure the printer has support for the photo-paper size that you like to use.

As stated, Epson, Canon, and HP are all respected brands. Personally I have had very good luck with Canon and have stuck with them. I strayed once to HP - but that printer only lasted me a year - but many others swear by HP and my sample size of one is not a good measure. That being said - since it is my money - I chose to take it elsewhere when the HP printer failed in 1 year.

Thanx for you input, i just want one for ios printing for iPhone & i dont want to buy a whole printing pack when 1 colour runs out, didnt think it was so complicated just to buy a printer
i like the looks of the epson workforce 845 all in one multifunction, does all i need..

OP
pharealmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sometimes when you want the "Best" (as the thread title says)...expensive is part of the equation!;)

- Nick

you are so right,I will have to splurge a bit to compliment my beutiful mac,i cannot put
a crappy printer next to it thats just wrong::Cool:

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Depends on your needs. There are different kinds of printer types out there. Laser, Photo, ink jet, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
CrimsonRequiem brings up a good point - which I forgot. If you don't print a lot (Maybe once a month or less) - inkjets have an issue with clogging nozzles as well as ink drying up. I think there may be some newer models that may help mitigate this - but since printer companies are in the business of selling ink - I don't think this is a high priority to fix. Consider a Laser Printer in this case. The toner is more expensive - but it isn't a liquid - so there isn't anything to dry up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A laser printer is best, however, if you need color my advice is to go with a high quality ink jet instead. Color laser toner is still too expensive for the average home user. If it were for a business, then OK.

For example: We used a Dell color laser printer at our local church. It used 4 toner cartridges to function properly and each cartridge was $90.00.

OP
pharealmac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you all for your input, very good advice it will help me a lot when i buy a printer..

cheers Paul..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.