Stripping a G4

Reaction score
Hi there
I have been given a G4 but it is full of old files and random bits and bobs, I want to strip it right down to as it come out the box status. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to do this. Is it a case of rebooting of the CDs that come with it??

When that is done I'll need advice as to how to get in up to date with the recent OSx systems

Any help would be much appreciated

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I would do three things and they are dead easy.

1) Buy a new HD say 300+ gigs and change the hard drive. The old G4s need a larger drive for todays files.
2) Max the RAM in the machine (probability is 2GB is max)
3) Buy Leopard OS 10.5 (will be Black disk).

Insert the RAM, HD, DVD disk and start and follow the instructions. It will do everything you need. Fresh drive fresh OS. Life cannot get better. It will prompt you to update and let it.

Reaction score
I think the G4 Power Macs are limited to a 128GB hard disk using the onboard controller. But you can do what I did and install a SATA PCI card, such as the Sonnet Tempo. Then you can fit whatever size SATA hard disk you like :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Ah yes this is correct it has been a while. The info regarding the eSATA is an excellent idea rather than be limited to the 128GB drive limit. Will the OS installer see the HD hanging on the PCI card from a fresh HD install is the question that comes to mind. Perhaps you can format the new HD and install the new OS on it then "remove" the original HD from the startup sequence by pulling the power connection from the HD and leave it in place.

Perhaps before you "strip" the machine compare costs to go new or one gen old from the refurbished store. I passed my G4 867 to my son and bought new a few years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Hi there
I have been given a G4 ... Is it a case of rebooting of the CDs that come with it??
When that is done I'll need advice as to how to get in up to date with the recent OSx systems

Which G4? There were 11 models of them. I did a lot of research yesterday into the hard drive size debate, and from the G4 Quicksilver No 2 onward, drives larger than 128 Gb were supported without the need for a PCI card. I suggest you download Mactracker, a free utility app, and trace the model that you've been given.

Regarding OS, that depends on which G4 you have, but Mactracker can advise you about that as well.

Other online resources for the G4 include:
www.lowendmac.com
www.everymac.com

Reaction score
Will the OS installer see the HD hanging on the PCI card from a fresh HD install is the question that comes to mind.

Yep it certainly does. You can do a fresh install without having any other drives connected :D The only thing that doesn't work is target mode, as you have to use the onboard controller for this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.