• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Has anyone noticed this?

T

tinyteddy

Just wondering here, at my college (which isn't the most high tech one lol) there seems to be a general trend with people and the topic of Windows and Macs. Most Mac users I've met had bad experiences with computers running Windows and they switched because of them. And finally there seem to be a lot of this happening; whenever class discussion wanders to computers the inevitable Mac vc Windows argument happens. I've noticed that a lot of people (one of my better friends included) "hate" Macs, but have never even used them. Where does this anger come from? I'm not trying to play favorites here, I noticed a lot of Mac users here at college have attitude problems as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I think it's because people get overly associated with the operating systems they use. It's not "I use Windows", it's usually "I'm a Windows guy/girl". So when you insult Windows, you're insulting their choice of operating systems. It shouldn't be like that, but it is...

Similar to cars, in a way. (If you're a car guy) I prefer Japanese made cars, therefore I get jabs from people who like domestics because they identify more with them than with Japanese cars.

Reaction score
tinyteddy said:
Just wondering here, at my college (which isn't the most high tech one lol) there seems to be a general trend with people and the topic of Windows and Macs. Most Mac users I've met had bad experiences with computers running Windows and they switched because of them. And finally there seem to be a lot of this happening; whenever class discussion wanders to computers the inevitable Mac vc Windows argument happens. I've noticed that a lot of people (one of my better friends included) "hate" Macs, but have never even used them. Where does this anger come from? I'm not trying to play favorites here, I noticed a lot of Mac users here at college have attitude problems as well.

My shcool hates mac so much that they've even blocked .Mac!!!

In the art department, they have macs, but the it guys still hate macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
I think it's the notion that a computer is an investment; no matter how cheap (I'm talking $299 Dell's that don't even have CD burners here) they are compared other computers, $300+ isn't exactly cheap. So if people are told that there was something better they could've spent they're money on, they get angry.

Again, it's just what I think; I could be wrong, probably am, just my 2¢.

OP
E

edge

Kind of tieing in with what tough said, I think the price factor is a big part of it. "Oh, so you Mac users think your better than us windows users because you can afford your fancy schmancy Apple boxen?!" That sort of thing...which urks me a lot. I'm poor as dirt (I think some dirt may have more money that I do), yet I've managed to pick up not just one, but several very nice Apple computers (2 notebooks, and one tower). All of which I use more than the two x86 windoze boxen I have.

What people don't realise when you buy a Mac (this happens with Linux too), is that simply by having the OS, you are already getting a good handful of software that you would probably have to buy for windows. With all of the bundled in media apps and software you get with Mac OS and iLife, a good bit of the cost of a windows machine is covered. Think of iDVD, DVD player, iMovie, etc. With windows, you get windows media player. When it comes to DVDs, that's mediocre at best (if you're lucky). Good luck with that working with your dell's onboard graphics card with no DVD decoding ;)

I think also kind of in the same area, is the false impression that there's "not as much software" for OS X, or that "software for OS X comes out years later than windows!". Both are blatently wrong. As most of you know, there are probably at least as many programs for OS X as there are for windows, if not more. About the only software we have to wait for is games, and with the Intel deal going on now, hopefully that soon won't be the case :)

I've never particuarly cared for windows a lot, and anymore, the only time I touch it is to play games. I don't foresee ever switching to windows as my primary OS.

Reaction score
The greatest problem that I have noticed is one of operating system knowledge, for example, I would like to believe that I know Mac OSX fairly well, and I hardly know the Windows opertaing system. I think there is a certain "one upmanship" going on. For example, I go to LAN parties, and the Mac vs. Windows debate breaks out (with the occasional Linux involved) and being that I am the only Mac user at the LAN parties, my ability to effectively defend Mac is seriously diminished, since I have no supporters. Usually what happens is where I say where Mac is better, then one of the 6 others say something in response. Like, "well Mac doesn't haven't to worry about viruses (to the extent of needing x amount of virus scanners)" and then the Windows users say something like "well that is because Mac isn't popular (which does hold truth) and so they aren't targeted, plus, Mac does so poorly with compability, gaming, etc." The down-whirl spiral of arguments then insues, and from there we end with some agreement almost like those of religious debates "you like what you like, and I like what I like."
I think the solution, although not very easily obtained, is one where an individual looks at all the pros and cons of each operating system AND what they want to do with the computer, and also their knowledge of computers, and then make a decision based on that. Furthermore, it would be counter-productive to argue when one side (or in my case) both sides have very little knowledge of the opposing operating system, so one should research, or better yet, run the opposite opertaing system for a certain period of time, then makes arguments and assumptions about said operating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
tinyteddy said:

Ithica... Wow, you go to cornell?! nice.

BTW go to Maxie's oyster house, they have the best raw oysters and jambalaya... it's AMAZING!

I don't have that problem at my school because i'm the only mac user in town...

Reaction score
It's funny, our school too has macs in the art department. They use Photoshop on it, and all work on G3 macs while the teacher has a 17" Rev A iMac (she got so pissed when I told her about my 20" G5 iSight) .
But elsewhere, it's all a cruddy Windows NT 2000 Network tht looks dull and is SLOW.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.