Add printer by IP address

Reaction score
Just got a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.7 here in the office. Using a wireless network, the Pro does not see our networked office multifunction copier which serves as our primary printer. I want to add the printer using the IP address, but there is no option to do so even though the 10.7 instructions say there should be.

Anyone else have this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I always connect the printer/scanner up via USB first then run software update to make sure I have the latest drivers.
Open system preferences and look under printers/scanners and see if the model is there.
Then disconnect the USB and connect ethernet to router or enable wireless which ever
you use and try and print a test page,
It would be easier if you list how its networked along with brand and model.
Also brand and model of router/modem.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I want to add the printer using the IP address, but there is no option to do so even though the 10.7 instructions say there should be.
It's there when you try to manually add a printer. Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan > click + to add a printer > IP.

OP
L
Reaction score
It's there when you try to manually add a printer. Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan > click + to add a printer > IP.

That's my problem. When I go to Print & Scan and hit the plus sign, my only option is to select from the printers that the Mac sees, there are no additional buttons where you would expect a row of task buttons to be, ie, no default button, no ip button, etc.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could always use the CUPS web interface to configure your printer. In a browser, navigate to localhost:631. Go to Administration and use that to add your printer. When you click "Add Printer" and are asked for login credentials, enter your OS X user name and password.

The web interface manages the same printers that the System Preferences pane does so don't worry about consistency. Hopefully, if you configure it in the CUPS web interface successfully, it will show up in the pref pane fully configured.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
That's my problem. When I go to Print & Scan and hit the plus sign, my only option is to select from the printers that the Mac sees, there are no additional buttons

I'd be worried about what else in my Lion Install is messed up (you may need to reinstall)!

To customize the add printer dialog:
right+click or control+click in the row of icons in the toolbar and choose Customize..., select the Advanced, or IP icon, etc, and drag it to your toolbar and then click Done to add it.

OP
L
Reaction score
To customize the add printer dialog:
right+click or control+click in the row of icons in the toolbar and choose Customize..., select the Advanced, or IP icon, etc, and drag it to your toolbar and then click Done to add it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, ctrl+click opened the menu right up.

Reaction score
Reset Printing System

I found this worked with my problem:

Go to System Preferences>Print & Scan. Just above the list of printers, where it says "Printers," Right-click (hold Control+click) in that space and it should bring up the option to Reset Printing System. Select that and it will give you a warning and chance to cancel. Procede and voila!

This will remove all your printers, but worth it! When I did it, I was able to add any printers as normal, without the error at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.