Battery dead, then hard drive error

Reaction score
My 12" Powerbook G4 PPC (1.5 GhZ) is giving me some trouble.

I did the Apple Hardware Test and got this error when doing the Mass Storage section:

2STF/8/3: ATA-100 ata-6 -Master

I did a 7-pass on the hard drive, reinstalled the OS, then successfully repaired permissions.

S.M.A.R.T. status now shows "verified" but when I do the Apple Hardware Test again, I still get back the same error message (
2STF/8/3: ATA-100 ata-6 -Master)

My battery died a little while before all of this, and I've been using it with the power adapter only. Could this be the cause for the hard drive trouble, or do I definitely need to buy both a new battery and a new hard drive?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
My guess would be that both need to be replaced. The computer itself is more than five years old, and things are beginning to break. A battery, retail, would cost between $100-130, while a hard drive could be found for probably around $50-70. At this point, it could last another couple of years with a new battery and hard drive, or it could end up costing more than it's worth, especially if something else breaks in the near future. Given it's age, I'd strongly recommend an upgrade strategy in the near future.

OP
T
Reaction score
Dammit all to ****.... hehehe

Oh well, thanks for the reply. I guess I have to decide whether I should fix this old powerbook or just buy a new laptop.

Can you tell me how I would go about finding a replacement battery and hard drive? Do I just type the serial numbers into google and see what comes up, or is there a standard site for these kinds of things?

Thanks again.

My guess would be that both need to be replaced. The computer itself is more than five years old, and things are beginning to break. A battery, retail, would cost between $100-130, while a hard drive could be found for probably around $50-70. At this point, it could last another couple of years with a new battery and hard drive, or it could end up costing more than it's worth, especially if something else breaks in the near future. Given it's age, I'd strongly recommend an upgrade strategy in the near future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.