Lost ability to open flash drive from Finder

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new here, so hi!

The other week I was working away on my macbook and I opened finder to get to some files on my flash drive/usb stick and I can normally see my drive called SDHC on the left hand side of the finder window (under the shortcut for my mac hardrive and the windows partition, and .mac). I accidentally dragged the shortcut off the sidebar and now when I connect my usb stick I cant see it in finder sidebar anymore, I have to go to my computers name and find it in there, it still shows up on the desktop, I was just wondering if anyone new how to get it back.

Thanks,

Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I just did what you explained. Just look on your desktop. it should be there.

OP
B
Reaction score
Niether, I just dragged it by accident it only moved a little way and I think it just vanished into thin air like if you drag an icon off the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
it's on your desktop. ;)

OP
B
Reaction score
I know it's on my desktop but 9 times out of 10 I want to access it from the finder window shortcut, can I drag the one from the desktop into the finder sidebar to make a new shortcut?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it's on my desktop but 9 times out of 10 I want to access it from the finder window shortcut, can I drag the one from the desktop into the finder sidebar to make a new shortcut?

yes sir :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Cheers, I'll give it a go later.

Nice one.

I hate macs, why'd they have to make everything so simple, being an ex-windows man I'm always trying find the hard way of doing things, when most of the time the mac makes it simple, or even does it for you! haha

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Open Finder, Preferences and the Sidebar tab. Be sure everything under devices is checked. I just duplicated what you did here and got it back in the Finder Sidebar that way.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I hate macs, why'd they have to make everything so simple, being an ex-windows man I'm always trying find the hard way of doing things, when most of the time the mac makes it simple, or even does it for you! haha

I couldn't agree more. When I first got Macs I had this very problem all the time. I was always looking for a difficult way to do things (this results from thinking in the "Windows way" I think). I was constantly amazed at how easy the Mac way of doing the same thing was.

Darn Apple for making Macs so easy to use! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.