G3 Blue & White No Chime

Reaction score
i have a G3 Blue & White 350mhz with 384mb ram.. recently, i just lost my chime at power on.. everything works fine otherwise! dunno what's causing it to not chime, thought i would ask here.. i am also having a hard time with networking to my xp & vista pc's on my network.. my mac has 10.3 tiger on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Is the internal speaker dead? Can you still hear music or anything else though it?
Sorry, I can't help you with the networking issue. There is a networking thread under the FAQ's part of the forum. Your question might be answered there.
Welcome!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Installed any new hardware such as a USB card or new video card?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you hear Alert sounds at all? Is the Alert Volume turned up in the Sound preference panel?

If so and you still have no Chime, you might try resetting the PRAM by holding Command+Option+P+R right after you hit the power button. Hold down all 4 keys and you should hear the chime. Let it chime 2 times or so then let go.

Reseting the PRAM has fix this on a few older Macs for me.

Opps, Welcome to Mac Forums!!

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Racing666.

Could you specify which OS X version you are using? 10.3.x is Panther and Tiger is 10.4.x.

I remember that the first couple update versions of Tiger, 10.4.1 and 10.4.2 had some users losing their startup sound so it might help us pinpoint your problem better if you were precise with the OS version you are using i.e. for example, not OS X Panther but 10.3.9.

OP
R
Reaction score
resetting the pram worked.. thanks for the help.. i just have 1 more question... this mac has the rev 1 main board in it. can i put a 20gb hard drive in it? because i want to replace the 12.5gb fujitsu IBM drive that is very noisy..? i know there is a limit on what i can put in it due to the rev 1 corruption issue.. oh, and it's OS 10.4.11.

M

MacHeadCase

The limit is 128GB hard drive, max. If you expand the Standard Hard Drive: section in this info here, you will see:

"*6.0 GB hard drive standard in M6668LL/A and M7556LL/A, 12.0 GB hard drive standard in M6666LL/A . It can officially support two Ultra ATA/33 hard drives -- drives larger than 128 GB are not supported. It could be configured with Ultra2 SCSI drives at the time of purchase as a build-to-order option."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.