Upgraded to Leopard, want to go back and do a clean install.

Reaction score
Soo, I just did a simple upgrade to Leopard a week ago and while I haven't had any real problems, I have noticed that my iMac is running noticeably slower. I think a clean and install could speed things up. My question is that if I were to use Time Machine to back up everything except the system folder would that be a plausible way for me to do a "clean install" and still keep all my documents, emails, media, etc.? And if it is, would I use the migration assistant to bring all my files back or would I have to restore from time machine during the OSX install (keeping in mind that I've excluded the system folder from Time Machine)?

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Soo, I just did a simple upgrade to Leopard a week ago and while I haven't had any real problems, I have noticed that my iMac is running noticeably slower. I think a clean and install could speed things up. My question is that if I were to use Time Machine to back up everything except the system folder would that be a plausible way for me to do a "clean install" and still keep all my documents, emails, media, etc.? And if it is, would I use the migration assistant to bring all my files back or would I have to restore from time machine during the OSX install (keeping in mind that I've excluded the system folder from Time Machine)?

Thanks

The Migration Assistant will give you the option to restore all of your programs, settings and documents from a Time Machine backup at the end of the install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.