macbook pros have been pros

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
I have been having quite a few issues with my new macbook pro. I recently purchased a macbook pro C2d 15" and was having issues with the keyboard not responding to typing; so much that typing sentences was just plain irritating. I took it to the Apple store and they replaced the unit with another one. Now, the new one has a weird eject button issue in that it only works half of the time. Secondly, the top half of the case (when closed) protrudes upwards away from the bottom of the case and makes the case appear warped. This was explained by Apple as being attributed to heat build-up warping the case until it cools and re-conforms. Well, it never re-conforms. I am also very unimpressed with the build quality of these laptops. They feel "dinky" and cheap. When you eject/install a cd it makes this loud clunk. This was also explained by Apple as normal, though I have owned Dell and Sony laptops before without this issue. Heck, my 17" macbook pro doesnt even do it! The machine itself is peppy and well laid out. But 2 machines in a month is not exactly a "good record". Boot camp also freezes in Windows XP whenever I enable keyboard manager and brightness in my startup items. Take them off and it boots and runs fine. My 24" iMac doesnt have this issue and neither does my 17" macbook pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
ive been overall satisfied, nothing more, with mine.

first unit i got, had 40 dead pixels on the screen. i was extremely irrate that i had driven home (40mi) and found that my 2000$ laptop was junk.

i wasnt happy in the least, and got a new one on another trip. When i asked for compensation for the drive, i was kinda snickered at. i almost returned the 2nd one on the spot, and went with another brand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
i wasnt happy in the least, and got a new one on another trip. When i asked for compensation for the drive, i was kinda snickered at. i almost returned the 2nd one on the spot, and went with another brand.

Not a good way to judge a company or it's products - warranties don't cover fuel expenses any more than the cover you stopping for lunch on the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 17" 2GB Ram, Intel Core Duo
woooo, i think it is a good way to judge a company and its products... everything that he/she named should not happen with an expensive piece of machinery like the Macpro15, thank god mine is fine, but i can sympathize and that was a poor job of apple or some subsidiary for putting it together.... but it was appropriate for someone with a mac book and no problems to post as to show that the entire corporation is not producing junk..

-hope it works out for you bro... i love my mBP 17

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sorry for the terminology,

-hi yeh hi-- macss live and love em

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a good way to judge a company or it's products - warranties don't cover fuel expenses any more than the cover you stopping for lunch on the way.

companies "reimburse" customer every day for stuff like my happenings.

i wasnt expecting it when i asked, but i thought i would.

Lets see your expression when you spend 2k$, and drive 40mi home, get there, find THAT many pixels dead, and then what?

:) i bet youd be a little peeved too.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have been having quite a few issues with my new macbook pro. I recently purchased a macbook pro C2d 15" and was having issues with the keyboard not responding to typing; so much that typing sentences was just plain irritating. I took it to the Apple store and they replaced the unit with another one. Now, the new one has a weird eject button issue in that it only works half of the time. Secondly, the top half of the case (when closed) protrudes upwards away from the bottom of the case and makes the case appear warped. This was explained by Apple as being attributed to heat build-up warping the case until it cools and re-conforms. Well, it never re-conforms. I am also very unimpressed with the build quality of these laptops. They feel "dinky" and cheap. When you eject/install a cd it makes this loud clunk. This was also explained by Apple as normal, though I have owned Dell and Sony laptops before without this issue. Heck, my 17" macbook pro doesnt even do it! The machine itself is peppy and well laid out. But 2 machines in a month is not exactly a "good record". Boot camp also freezes in Windows XP whenever I enable keyboard manager and brightness in my startup items. Take them off and it boots and runs fine. My 24" iMac doesnt have this issue and neither does my 17" macbook pro.

The one comment I would make here is to be aware that the latest OS updates introduce a new delay into the eject key. You must hold it down for approximately 10 seconds before the eject happens.

Slot loading drives make noise - it's a function of the assembly itself. Some make more than others. Drives that use a tray are less complex mechanically and therefore make less noise.

The case "warping" issue is common amongst MacBook Pros. It's a product of the earlier problems with older models where the keyboard was making contact with the screen, damaging it or leaving residue. In order to avoid these problems, Apple widened the gap. Since the hinge tension is not even, there will be a couple of millimeters of gap on either side sometimes, which is normal. I don't buy the explanation of expansion with heat, sounds like a retail clerk's way of not having to explain the problem more thoroughly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Sorry you're having problems. The complaint about the CD drive isn't really valid because you're comparing it to tray-loading computers which don't require the same moving parts. Slot-loading drives are this way. My car stereo makes noise too, but it's muffled by being buried in the dash, so it's not as evident, plus we expect noises from a car, so we don't notice it as much. It is a bit unpleasant and I'm sure if there is any way to minimize it, Apple will be the first to develop it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
woooo, i think it is a good way to judge a company and its products...

I meant that judging a company on whether or not they refund my petrol usage as opposed to the quality of their products isn't good.

Lets see your expression when you spend 2k$, and drive 40mi home, get there, find THAT many pixels dead, and then what?

:) i bet youd be a little peeved too.

If I'd driven that distance for buy a product whose technology - LCD displays - is known for dead pixels, I'd have got them to fire it up in the shop, particularly when spending that amount. But that's just IMO - personally I buy online, so in the event of a problem it can be returned. Saves fuel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
There's an idea. Next time, buy online. Saves you time and money (free shipping) even if you don't have to return it!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay, good point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The one comment I would make here is to be aware that the latest OS updates introduce a new delay into the eject key. You must hold it down for approximately 10 seconds before the eject happens.
I don't know where you got that idea from. I just tested it with my MBP and found I just had to press the eject key for a moment. Like a second or less.

The OS will do some checking first to see if an application is using the inserted media. If not, then it will dismount the media and eject it. This part can take several seconds.

There have been times I've used the eject key the system seems to take a bit long in the whole process, but I usually do not have to press the eject key more than once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
the top half of the case (when closed) protrudes upwards away from the bottom of the case and makes the case appear warped.
This is a common issue. My MBP has a very small gap at each front corner. Clearly there must be a small curve in the lcd frame. It annoyed me to for a short while, but it doesnt' seem to do any harm.

I am also very unimpressed with the build quality of these laptops. They feel "dinky" and cheap.
I don't think that. Sure they aren't as tough as 2" thick laptop designed to be abused, but that is the cost of style.

When you eject/install a cd it makes this loud clunk. This was also explained by Apple as normal
I had a few issues with my refurb when I first got it. When I took it into the Apple store I pointed out how bad the clunking sound was. The genius agreed it was abnormal. Still, you must note that there are odd sounds from this type of drive. I'd say compare it to another unit to figure out if yours really is an exception. Yes they did replace mine. I still get a little nervous whenever I insert or eject a disc.

Boot camp also freezes in Windows XP whenever I enable keyboard manager and brightness in my startup items. Take them off and it boots and runs fine.
Keep in mind that boot camp is still beta software.

I would go to the Apple site and view and search the boot camp discussions over there. Perhaps you can find some better answers for this issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I'd driven that distance for buy a product whose technology - LCD displays - is known for dead pixels, I'd have got them to fire it up in the shop, particularly when spending that amount. But that's just IMO - personally I buy online, so in the event of a problem it can be returned. Saves fuel.

purchases that exceed 700$ i usually like to buy in person. Just personal preference. I will buy from t here again, they did take care of me the second time. But next time they will fire it up before i leave :)

OP
Texasmeat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
Who changed the title of my thread?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.