Password for MacBook

Reaction score
Hi.

When i start up my MacBook, its already logged in. How can i change it, so that you have to log in at the start, before you can use the computer ?

Hoping to get some help.
Jimmy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
system prefs, users, put a password in

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Go to System Preferences/Users. If you look toward the bottom you will see Login Options. You have to click the closed LOCK at the bottom and enter your password. When it opens click on Login Options. See at the top Automatic Login. Change that to None and it should do what you are after.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Go to System Preferences/Users. If you look toward the bottom you will see Login Options. You have to click the closed LOCK at the bottom and enter your password. When it opens click on Login Options. See at the top Automatic Login. Change that to None and it should do what you are after.

Hi. I read your explanation after searching for just this matter. However, under System Preferences on my Macbook 10.5.8 there is no "User", only "Security" and there it only asks for a password on waking from sleep or screen saver. Could you please advise me how to set a password on start up?
Thanks,
Stuartp77

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Look for Accounts. System Preferences.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't remember what version of OSX but it changed from Users to Accounts.

Reaction score
Thanks to all your kind gentlemen who replied to my query re name and password at start-up. I did it over and over again through System Prefs / Accounts, and it did'nt work until it dawned on me to disable 'automatic login'. (I'm really bright technically!!)
Best regards to all,

Stuart.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.