Fan Noise

Reaction score
hey guys. SO I use my MBP for all other purposes and use my PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz) for entertainment purposes only. Like DIV connection to my TV and watch movies, streaming vids... etc.

Recently I noticed the fan noise gets LOUD... after streaming vid or any sort of video is playing or running extensive software/programs. Like iTunes about 5 minutes in. Safari, not so much... like now, I have quicktime open (with nothing playing), iChat, Temperature monitor, and Activity Monitor are all running and its not too hot (not over heating like when watching a video), nor the fan noise is too loud... slight noise, bearable though.

Once I put on a movie, streaming vid like hulu or youtube, the fan kicks in and goes wild. like you're in an airplane... or it could blow up any minute...

OO nevermind, just now the fan kicked in, not as loud as when watching a movie, but louder than before wit the same stuff opened and running as I listed above (paragraph 2)...

ANY SUGGESTIONS? !!! PLZ help! I have never used compressed air to clean the vents... perhaps its clogged with a lot of ****. I did use my comp on the carpet a lot... carpet dust stuck? ... perhaps replace the fan? aaah! any suggestions would be helpful! thanks

Reaction score
hey guys. SO I use my MBP for all other purposes and use my PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz) for entertainment purposes only. Like DIV connection to my TV and watch movies, streaming vids... etc.

Recently I noticed the fan noise gets LOUD... after streaming vid or any sort of video is playing or running extensive software/programs. Like iTunes about 5 minutes in. Safari, not so much... like now, I have quicktime open (with nothing playing), iChat, Temperature monitor, and Activity Monitor are all running and its not too hot (not over heating like when watching a video), nor the fan noise is too loud... slight noise, bearable though.

Once I put on a movie, streaming vid like hulu or youtube, the fan kicks in and goes wild. like you're in an airplane... or it could blow up any minute...

OO nevermind, just now the fan kicked in, not as loud as when watching a movie, but louder than before wit the same stuff opened and running as I listed above (paragraph 2)...

ANY SUGGESTIONS? !!! PLZ help! I have never used compressed air to clean the vents... perhaps its clogged with a lot of ****. I did use my comp on the carpet a lot... carpet dust stuck? ... perhaps replace the fan? aaah! any suggestions would be helpful! thanks
2 Things:
1) Your fan is dying - get ready to replace it.
2) get a copy of smcFanControl and set it to start up at boot.

The fan is a $39 USD part, and you can take do the R&R work yourself and save some $$.

smcFanControl has many functions - a lot of folks use it to play around with fan speed. I use it to monitor fan RPM - 0 RPM equals dead fan. If you have two fans in your MBP, one of them could have died ages ago, and you would never know it until the 2nd fan died (like me), and you start to notice a burn mark in the outline of you MBP on your work desk.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before you start tearing your machine apart and replacing the fan, clean it out real good. Using the machine on a carpet is a good way to suck up dirt and carpet lint into the computer. Chances are the fan is clogged and the vents blocked with fuzz and dust.

If the machine is still getting hot after you've cleaned it up real good, then it's time to tear into it. The suggestion to use SMCFanControl to monitor fan rpm is a good idea.

Regards.

OP
AudMan
Reaction score
hey guys thanks for the suggestions. Though I am not a complete noob with macs... i am however when it comes to cleaning it...

chscag - Cleaning the machine real good... how would I go about it? Compressed air of course... but just blow it into the vents? then wouldn't it just blow dust into the computer?

Thanks guys

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.