Internet sharing is a slippery beast

Reaction score
A simple checkbox and a menu allow you to share your internet connection (no matter which interface you get it on) with any other interface. (theoretically)
But the guts of this is a little confusing. This page
man page InternetSharing section 8
describes InternetSharing, a process which reads the property list com.apple.nat.plist stored in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration.

First question:
why is the airport singled out with its own special entry in the plist? I understand the entries for primary interface (the source) and the sharing devices (the targets) But who cares if airport is enabled in this plist if you are setting up a nat between ethernet and bluetooth for example.

Second question:
why does it allow sharing of ethernet connection with ethernet connection and then give you a warning that your isp will hate you? (it also allows fire wire with firewire) it doesnt allow bluetooth-bluetooth or airport-airport=> the menu entries for self reference disappear.

Third question:
How do you change the default network when you share the ethernet through your airport? InternetSharing configures the IP addresses for non-AirPort interfaces starting at 192.168.2.1 and the SharingNetworkNumberStart property allows you to change that. The AirPort interface by default is assigned 10.0.2.1. How to change?

Fourth question:
If you only have one ethernet jack on a macbook how could you possibly have more than one interface?. InternetSharing configures the IP addresses for non-AirPort interfaces starting at 192.168.2.1, walking up by one class C network (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) for each subsequent interface i.e. 192.168.3.1, 192.168.4.1, 192.168.5.1, and so on. Is this to address the possibility of a macpro or an xserve with multiple nics?

Tnx to the guru who shares his/her(?) knowledge.If it is a her I'd REALLY to meet her.

OP
B
Reaction score
problems solved.
1) the airport is not like the other interfaces
2) the hard connections are less likely to connect to themselves-you actually have to WIRE them and nobody would do that
3)edit the bootpd.plist
4) usb adapters
tnx. i solved the problem. even tho i turned off the firewall in the gui, ipfw was still running. sudo ipfw list gave the same list of rules regardless whether i had firewall on or off. dont know how i managed to achieve that!

i looked to noobproof and turned off the rule for blocking port 80. now it works, at east for web surfing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.