yet another water damage question

Reaction score
Last night I bumped my water bottle over and about 4 fl oz of water spilled onto my 4 month old 13' macbook pro. The water got all over the keyboard and trackpad. I immediately paper towel-ed off as much water as I could, then used a blow drier on cold setting for about ten minutes... turned the machine upside down... no water came out, i think i dried it all before anything got into the depths of my macbook. My macbook was turned on and online plugged into the battery when i spilled the water. It did not turn off or even flinch, and i was in too much of a panic to even think about unplugging it or turning it off. I wanted to get the water before it went inside. I eventuually turned it off and let a fan blow on the keyboard for a few hours (just in case). This morning i turned it on and it is working perfectly (I'm actually typing this post on it). My question is, does this pretty much mean I got off lucky and everything will be okay?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My question is, does this pretty much mean I got off lucky and everything will be okay?

For the most part yes.:) If what you spilled was only water (no coffee, soda, juice, etc.)...and if the volume/quantity wasn't too much...then I would say most or all of the water could have evaporated by now.

But if some liquid water is trapped inside in a corner or crevice somewhere...moving/using the computer could dislodge it...and cause it to flow onto something that is electrified...and then ZAPP...bye bye computer.:(

So I would say be very very careful...maybe even stop using the computer, unplug it, and remove the battery. Then let it sit for a couple days (no use).

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Time will tell alas. Four fluid ounces goes a long way when spilled. As Nick suggest unplug and leave it stand and cross your fingers. Sometimes it takes weeks for a logic board or similar to fail. And sadly spills void the warranty, and with fluid indicators built in, makes it tough to get around this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.