BT Infinity with Airport Extreme

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Today we had BT Infinity installed at home and it has resulted in vastly improved speeds.

However, the way the engineer has connected it up means that the BT modem is connected to their Home Hub which in turn connects to my AEBS.

I've turned the Home Hub wireless off so the only signal is from my AEBS. However, when I open Airport Utility, my AEBS cannot be found as it is says it's not configured.

I've connected the AEBS direct to the modem and then wired it to my iMac, but still can't access it via AU. It'll only work when wired through the Home Hub.

Has anyone set up their AEBS with the BT Infinity modem and could point me in the right direction to get it to work? AEBS firmware is the latest 6.3 release.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can connect the Extreme direct to the modem, Ensure the ethernet cable is connected to the Extremes WAN port.

Once that's done I'd suggest resetting your Extreme and make sure Airport Utility is up to date.

Now connect to the Extreme wirelessly or by cable and go to the Internet tab. You'll need to enter the following:

account name: [email protected]
use one space as the password as it can't be left blank but isn't required
disconnect if Idle: never
You can leave the DNS settings blank
network router Mode: DHCP and NAT

configure the wireless however suits you.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Thanks mrplow - that's excellent.

Except - if I remove the ethernet cable between my AEBS and my iMac, I lose connection (all other clients can access wirelessly however). While this is not a huge issue as my iMac is right by my router I'd prefer to retain wireless capability.

Also, I couldn't find any field asking "disconnect if idle"

Thanks again but if you could help out on the above that would be great

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can ignore the idle setting.

So can you not connect wirelessly at all?

Can you 'see' the wireless network?

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes - I can see my network.

And I can connect to the internet (sorry - didn't think I could) on my iMac - but when the ethernet cable is removed, Airport Utility isn't finding me AEBS - just a spinning wheel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so you have wireless network/internet working on your iMac but you can't configure the extreme through Airport Utility? Although you must be connected to it.....

Is the firmware up-to-date on the Extreme and is Airport Utility up-to-date?

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's about it.

I can access and configure it via ethernet, but not wirelessly - even though I can connect to it wirelessly to access the internet.

Running AU 6.3 - firmware (version) is 7.6.3

If I look in network preferences, I have green lights next to ethernet and wi-fi connections.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try resetting your network configuration completely:

In Finder go to:
yourMacHD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

Rename the preferences.plist to preferences.old

Restart your Mac

Attempt to reconnect to your network and try Network utility again

If that doesn't work then do the same thing but for the whole SystemConfiguration folder that the above plist is in.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks - will give that a go over the weekend

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Decided to leave it wired for now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.