• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

We're being watched!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The data miners know no bounds

Much effort is expended finding new ways to gather data on people. A company called Umbria uses software to analyse millions of blog and forum posts every day, using sentence structure, word choice and quirks in punctuation to determine the blogger's gender, age interests and opinion. That knowledge can be a valuable tool to people launching new products, or politicians seeking votes.

From an original New Scientist article
What the data miners are digging up about you - tech - 28 November 2008 - New Scientist

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Hey, you post something on the Internet, it's essentially available to anyone in the public to see. You don't want them checking out what you post online, then don't do it. Privacy can only go so far.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
just a bigger finger to stick up in the air to test the direction of the wind...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Big brother is watching.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well yes of course. Do a Google of xj6jaguar1985 for example lol!

Whatever we post anywhere leaves a footprint!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram
Eh, I'm not too worried. I mean, it's not like many people are too well known among internet circles, the ones the do become well known are that way for all the wrong reasons, mostly bad. Plus, I find this whole thing to be flawed. A good writer can mask mostly all of those attributes such as age, gender, etc. After all, we all are "internet personalities" and therefore can be whoever we want. Besides, the information on most forums are public, so anyone can view it, taking the proper precautions definitely helps.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i don't think this is all about finding detail, it seems to be based more in trends. sure part of the article was about watching an individual for specific signs and symtoms, but in reality the money is really in telling a potential advertiser where to focus their ad budget.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook - 2GHZ - 1GB RAM - 80GB HD - 500GB External HD - 8GB iPod Touch
Last night i watched 'Enemy of the State' a movie with Will Smith in were he has been bugged with all these chips in his clothing and being tracked down by criminals, It was an awesome movie and really made me think about people watching you when you least expect it, and people being able to track you down aka F.B.I etc... Really interesting stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25 GHz, 1GB Ram, 80 Gig Hd, 200 Gig Hd; iMacDV 400Mhz 40GB 512Ram
This reminds me of a story this crazy paranoid guy was telling me while i was doing my laundry at the laundromat. He was a bit whacked out, I'm thinking he may have been a part of some kind of gov't research or experiment. Still, he got annoying after awhile, and he kept talking as I walked out the door w/ my laundry saying "Nice talkin' to ya!" On the flipside, he was friendly and non-threatening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MacBook
I don't think typing types can define a person's age or gender. For the most part, I think I write pretty decently.

We're watched everywhere. All the credit/debit cards swiped? Yep. That too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MacBook
Wow... I just searched me. I haven't been using this name long, and I had 3 pages. Never knew you could do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Eh, I'm not too worried. I mean, it's not like many people are too well known among internet circles, the ones the do become well known are that way for all the wrong reasons, mostly bad. Plus, I find this whole thing to be flawed. A good writer can mask mostly all of those attributes such as age, gender, etc. After all, we all are "internet personalities" and therefore can be whoever we want. Besides, the information on most forums are public, so anyone can view it, taking the proper precautions definitely helps.

Sure, unless you posted in the "What gender are you" thread here at M-F ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
well I don't really care if people are taking down all this information about me cuz they are using collecting mass information and could never tell exactly who I am

Well if they really want to know im Male 18 years of age and as a Canadian I love Hockey and as someone who lived in the country as a child finding it hard to hang out with friends because of distance I am a huge gamer. Hope I could help in your search for w.e

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think the bigger question is, when aren't they watching?

Reaction score
You know if you have OnStar in your car they can listen in anytime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.