.com or .net

Reaction score
I'm looking to register a domain name for a new product I'm developing. The .com for my product name, call it "productname.com" is already registered (though not currently in use).

Would I be better off using a .net like "productname.net" instead or something related like "myproductname.com"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
my personal opinion --having had both i prefer .com, simply because that is what most people know and/or assume a domain ends with.

ps. welcome..

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well .com is usually associated with a company and .net is network but I don't think people really pay attention to that kind of stuff anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
If you can still find a suitable .com, go for it! At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter because if people like what they see and intend to return, they will bookmark it and the domain name really doesn't matter at that point any more.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
By default people will always go to the .com address..and if they remember, the .org, .net and so on..so you're better of trying to find an alternate .com address that will not be easily mistaken for the existing .com name..

Otherwise, if that other page has some advertising or something..you're going to be driving good traffic to that site..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.