DVD player freezes - won't change region.

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm onto the last change on my DVD Player on my MacBook. It's currently set to Region 1 because I watched an American TV box set but I want to make the final change to Region 2 as I'm from the UK.

However, when I click to change the setting the DVD player freezes. I don't get an error message, it just gives me the wheel and I have to Force Quit the entire thing.

I've searched extensively for some help, but all I've heard is that using a purely Region 2 DVD will fix it. Nonetheless, because the DVD player freezes whenever I ask it to switch region, this doesn't work for me.

Similarly, I can't play any DVDs in VLC player as an alternative for some reason.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to fix it? My job revolves around watching DVDs almost every day so this is an urgent issue and if I can't resolve it then I'm going to have to get a new laptop.

I know you need some details, so I think this is what you all ask for, right?

Hitachi HTS543216L9SA02:

Capacity: 160.04 GB (160,041,885,696 bytes)
Model: Hitachi HTS543216L9SA02
Revision: FB2AC52F
Serial Number: 090710FBE203BNGDU6VF
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 32
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Rotational Rate: 5400
Medium Type: Rotational
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why would you need to buy a new laptop? If the DVD drive is frozen on region 1 and won't change, just change it out with a new one. I'm sure there are stores there in the UK where you can buy a replacement drive for your MacBook. Region settings are made in the drive firmware not the operating system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.