OS X 10.5 Connecting via CMD+K (SMB)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5
Hello, all.

Mellow greetings, everyone. I recently purchased a 2nd MacBook Pro (runs on Leopard), and I seem to be having trouble connecting to the office's smb shared storage. Before (on my first machine, with Tiger), all I had to do was use CMD+K, then input the server address (smb://192.168.1.20), and I would be prompted to authenticate by inputting the domain, username and password. With Leopard, however, when I tried to do the same thing, it just went straight to the username/pass window, without the initial/domain window.

I contacted our IT, who is unfortunately not very well-versed with Macs, but he was able to solve the problem by telling me to add something to the CMD+K window (I can't remember if it was _<domain name> somewhere, or /<domain name>, or whatever), and my first machine can connect to the smb server with no problems now. Unfortunately, I forgot to add the new address I was given to Favorites, and I can't get my 2nd machine to connect. When I asked our IT guy, he couldn't remember what he said to me the first time to get me to connect.

With that in mind...help?

OP
shetz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5
I remember what the IT told me to fix this. At the login window, instead of putting my user/pass, I put in <domain>\<user>.

All good now :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.