My wireless keyboard has gone grungy

Reaction score
Hi all

My two year old wireless keyboard has started feeling very grungy. By which I mean the keys no longer feel as if they are traveling smoothly, almost as if they springs have lost their spring.

The keyboard has definitely not had any liquids spilled on it or suffered any other abuse. Nor are they actually sticking, they are just not pleasant to type on.

Is there anything I can do to restore the key board. I have tried blasting it with compressed air but this hasn't really helped. Would it be a bad idea to spray a little WD40 over it?

Or do Apple only design their keyboards to last two years?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Would it be a bad idea to spray a little WD40 over it?

Doing that would guaranty having to purchase a new keyboard! I've been using my Apple wireless keyboard for some time now and it still works fine. Apple keyboards do not have the feel and click of some better keyboards but they do work OK. I have both the wired and wireless versions.

OP
D
Reaction score
Doing that would guaranty having to purchase a new keyboard! I've been using my Apple wireless keyboard for some time now and it still works fine. Apple keyboards do not have the feel and click of some better keyboards but they do work OK. I have both the wired and wireless versions.

OK, so I'll give the WD40 a miss. Is there anything else I can do to improve the way the keybaord works?

It has definitely deteriorated markedly since I first got it, and while it has been used regularly I haven't been writing War and Peace on it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It has definitely deteriorated markedly since I first got it, and while it has been used regularly I haven't been writing War and Peace on it.

LOL. I know what you mean. Other than buying a more expensive third party wireless keyboard, there's not much you can do if the keyboard has become spongy. I'm not exactly a lover of the Apple wireless keyboard but it's better than having an extra USB cable hanging around on my desk.

You might want to take a look at some third party wireless keyboards for the Mac to see if it's something you'd like. Logitech, MacAlly, and Matias make and sell some real nice wireless keyboards for the Mac. Unfortunately they're all more expensive than the Apple version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When new a keyboard skin may have helped and as cheap as chips also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.