How can I restore my iMac G5 to defaults?

Reaction score
How can I completely reset my iMac G5 to sell it? I'm going to be selling my iMac G5, and I was wondering what the best way to entirely reset it would be - I want all my stuff off there, leaving as little behind as possible, so it's as close to new as possible for whoever I sell it to. I may or may not have the install disk.

Reaction score
How can I completely reset my iMac G5 to sell it? I'm going to be selling my iMac G5, and I was wondering what the best way to entirely reset it would be - I want all my stuff off there, leaving as little behind as possible, so it's as close to new as possible for whoever I sell it to. I may or may not have the install disk.
The best way would be a clean install, but if you can't find the disc(s) just delete your user account and create a new one (with administrative rights) - I usually call it "Mac Owner" or whatever the buyer's name is. You might want to repair disk permissions in Disk Utillity and remove any software the buyer might not want or need. I like to throw in a few nice open source gems - Unarchiver, Perian, Burn, VLC, MPlayer, Adium, Firefox, Bean, OpenOffice/NeoOffice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.