FYI : iTunes 7.3 won't start up?

Reaction score
If you're running ShapeShifter, you have to put iTunes into the exclude list. Then it will start right up as normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Good Info, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16GHz 120GB 8X Double Layer Superdrive
well since i dont know what shapeshifter is, i dont think i have it so is there anything else to do cuz i open itunes and it shows CPU usage at 100% and it freezes up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Try finding and deleteing the file:

com.apple.itunes.xxxxxxxxxxxx.plist

where the x's are random numbers, and try again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
No problems here on my iMac with SS and iTunes 7.3

OP
W
Reaction score
No problems here on my iMac with SS and iTunes 7.3
Not sure what to say but I read this info somewhere else and it definitely did the trick on my machine. I guess everyone's machine is quirky in it's own way. Heh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yeah, I have a colleague who had this very problem, and when I pointed him toward Application Enhancer/ShapeShifter he fixed it with the exclude list.

I don't use ShapeShifter, but I use ClearDock which also requires Application Enhancer. I had problems with PPC apps not wanting to launch, but excluding them seems to have fixed it. Didn't have any problem with iTunes 7.3, so I guess that points more toward ShapeShifter than AE as such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
If you're running ShapeShifter, you have to put iTunes into the exclude list. Then it will start right up as normal.

My iTunes wouldn't open either. I was sneaky and got iTunes to open via starting it in Front Row first. Of course, you don't want to do that all the time.

I added iTunes to the exclude list, started itunes, closed it, then took it off the exclude list, and now it opens just fine. So, you don't have to keep it on the exclude list, It's just some kind of glitch I guess.

OP
W
Reaction score
That's odd! Thanks for the follow up.

EDIT: Confirmed! I can now take it off the exclusion list and it works fine.

Reaction score
Thank you so much, Willem. I was trying everything yesterday to get my itunes working after the update and never thought about shapeshifter. I excluded itunes and am back up and running. Thx much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
it has to do with the lisence agreement that comes up everytime you get a new version of itunes, it was causing a crash because of shapeshifter.

i didn't even have to exclude, i just returned desktop to default then brought it back

Reaction score
My iTunes wouldn't open either. I was sneaky and got iTunes to open via starting it in Front Row first. Of course, you don't want to do that all the time.

I added iTunes to the exclude list, started itunes, closed it, then took it off the exclude list, and now it opens just fine. So, you don't have to keep it on the exclude list, It's just some kind of glitch I guess.

Wow, how weird. I thought my laptop was broken haha. I even deleted and reinstalled. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.