should I jump the boat?

S

satyrex

I am an Ok windows user and am happy with it. but now I want to something else for a change. i am considering getting a new box and probably a 17 inch new imac . I really was bowled over by its style.

But can it give the flexibility i enjoy with windows?. ie. lots of programs, apps, connectivity, etc? and ofcourse searching and destroying viruses :spook:

Since I use a windows at my office will i be able to port my work from home to office and vice versa?
Will I be able connect to internet without issues?

What about software upgrades? will it burn a huge hole in my pocket?

regards and thanks

:biohazard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I will start by saying this: If what you have works, keep it.

On the other hand for the most part macs are virus free, but not invincible, so if that is why you are planning on switching, I would say stick with your computer. Mac does have alot of sofware and most software is on both, or has a mac equivlent, very few programs do not exist on mac. Yes, mac has good connectivity, and software upgrades to have the potential to burn a hole in your wallet. A new operating system is released every year or so and cost $100 so where it does not cost as much as a $400 operating system from microsoft, it is upgraded more often... if you wnat to keep up with upgrade then it will cost you, however there are many people who don't upgrade and are happy.
If you have microsoft office you and bring your work back and forth between the mac and windows pc with out any problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
PowerBookG4 said:
I second this.
satyrex said:
I am an Ok windows user and am happy with it.?
If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

Reaction score
Whatever I used for Windows I have managed to find for Mac, or find something very similar if the same application doesn't come in Mac format.

I switched not because anything was broke, but because I was completely sick of Windows, from errors and slowness of machines to the ridiculous updating of security every 3 hours when they kept finding new holes.

No reason to go back to using Windows for me personally, ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
PowerBookG4 said:

I disagree - I was Windows, and had been for 15 years. It wasn't broke but I fancied a change and wanted to try Mac. Not looked back yet. Something doesn't have to be broke to want to change!

Ad

Reaction score
Adam said:
I disagree - I was Windows, and had been for 15 years. It wasn't broke but I fancied a change and wanted to try Mac. Not looked back yet. Something doesn't have to be broke to want to change!

Ad

Adam, just for the record.... you meant to disagree with DB, but quoted PBG4,

Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

OP
S

satyrex

thanx fellas
Will get back in a few days
as it is said : "I can resist everything except temptation"

bye and thanx

OP
S

sursuciofla

You can get a mac and be totally happy. Windows can go on your mac via parallels or bootcamp. You can keep your Windows machine as I have and enjoy the best of both worlds. I agree with an earlier post, just because it works doesn't mean it's not okay to go for a change. Both OSes have good things to offer.

You can get a virus on any computer and Macs can get viruses.
Some people are told Macs are virus free and that's a stretch of the truth. There are no "known viruses" but known (documented) doesn't mean they don't exist. The chances of you catching one are pretty close to none though.

Anyways, go with your gut on this one. Maybe go into an Apple store or a CompUSA and try them out to see how you like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
Pulse-8 said:
Adam, just for the record.... you meant to disagree with DB, but quoted PBG4,

No I meant to disagree with both, and I meant to quote PBG4. :spook:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.