Just got my G5 last night

H

h0tk4rl

This is my first Mac and for the most part, I'm back up to speed to a point where I can again be productive. So it looks like the learning curve is about 1 day. :D

The Story: I'm actually a System / Network administrator for a national batttery company supporting an entirely MS userbase and MS / Linux server room. Before this I was a senior art director for close to six years and in art school for the two preceding years. Point being, it's been some time since I've been on a mac and although I've wanted a mac to play with for years, I just wasn't ready to switch 100% (still not)

I've battled with some POS western digital RAID array for a few weeks now recovering from two bad disks and Monday was the last straw. I knew a drive was on it's way out and after a reboot, sure enough, another plastered array!

My first instinct was to pick up some opteron 242 processors and a Tyan motherboard but after thinking of the shipping time and dealing with pricewatch scum I opted to start browsing the more reputable suppliers ie. alienware, dell, gateway, apple

I found my way to the apple store and now I'm sitting in front of a Dual 1.8 G5. I'm absolutely loving this thing! Still trying to figure some things out and get my hands on an SSH client (openSSH?) but all in all, I'm doing good.

I still have much respect for a well built dually xp machine but I'm very happy with my move. It compliments my 2.8GHz system that's sharing the desk with it. :)

Anyway, just saying hello and don't mind the dumb questions that I'm sure to come up with.

-jay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
SSH is available from the Terminal.

EDIT: After going to the restroom and feeding the pets, technologist adds:

Contrgratulations on your new Mac. It's great to see Windows/Linux people "broadening their horizons" so to speak.

Feel free to post any questions you have here.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Congrats! My G5(See specs on left) along with my display, should arrive on Monday according to FedEx.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.