• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie: editing sound/music

K

kyrre

I'm fiddiling around in iMovie at the moment with a project piece, I'm not to thrilled about it, I must say, working in After Effects before. Anyways, my question is:

Is it possible to crop the song in the iMovie file? I'm sort of importing a tune in iMovie from iTunes, and I get the whole song (of course), but I can't seem to stop the file at the end of the movie, instead it stops after the whole song (I have faded it out at the end of movie). Do I have to crop the music file externally?

And another quick question; is it only possible to do ONE saving of the project you're working on, and not "Save As.." like all Adobe programs?

*frustrated*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
kyrre said:
I'm fiddiling around in iMovie at the moment with a project piece, I'm not to thrilled about it, I must say, working in After Effects before. Anyways, my question is:

Is it possible to crop the song in the iMovie file? I'm sort of importing a tune in iMovie from iTunes, and I get the whole song (of course), but I can't seem to stop the file at the end of the movie, instead it stops after the whole song (I have faded it out at the end of movie). Do I have to crop the music file externally?

And another quick question; is it only possible to do ONE saving of the project you're working on, and not "Save As.." like all Adobe programs?

*frustrated*

well, don't expect your free iMovie to perform as 800$ adobe after effects. :)

you can crop the song file in imovie timeline. just drag the triangular handles to desired part.
see the picture

now about the save as...
imovie does not do "save as", but there is one trick...
duplicate your project file (not folder) in finder and edit it in different way, save it. keep the original untouched or whatever you want

View attachment Picture 1.pdf

OP
D

dreric1kansas

sound editing

I have imported sounds from a video I am into my new Imovie. I have used Imovie, SoundCompanion and I thinking you can also use QuickTime to edit sound as well. Imovie might be the easiest though.

Dr. Eric Flescher, ([email protected]), editor MacsU.N.I.T.E. (Subscribe send email to : [email protected]) , MacCompanion Reviewer/writer (http://www.maccompanion.com/); moderator [email protected]- to subscribe [email protected]; editor TechU.N.I.T.E. (Subscribe send email to PC version TechU.N.I.T.E.- Technology Users Network for Integrating Technology into Education- to subscribe send email to [email protected]: [email protected])

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue as well in imovie. I would like to shorten the song from iTunes to the actual video length. I looked at the picture provided, but I don't have those arrows available to me in the music track to be able to do this... I think I'm using the most current version of iMovie. Is there a different way to access this crop function for audio?

Thanks.

well, don't expect your free iMovie to perform as 800$ adobe after effects. :)

you can crop the song file in imovie timeline. just drag the triangular handles to desired part.
see the picture

now about the save as...
imovie does not do "save as", but there is one trick...
duplicate your project file (not folder) in finder and edit it in different way, save it. keep the original untouched or whatever you want

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
First, when you ask about a piece of software, give the version of it. I'll assume iMovie 09.

If it is iMovie 09 (or 08 to some degree) I recommend you go review the Apple iMovie tutorials.

Looks like you can edit the starting and ending points via the "Clip Trimmer". You get to that via the wheel in the upper left side of the respective clip. That tip might not be in any of the tutorials. I experimented to find it.

As for the "Save As..", use File-->"Duplicate Project". If you are in your project, click the back button in the top left of the window that says "Project Library". Once you're in you Project Library, Hi-light the project of interest and choose "Duplicate Project".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
u can crop the song file in imovie timeline. just drag the triangular handles to desired part.

This is why people need to state what version of software they are using. In this case the PDF refers to an iMovie version before iMovie 08 & 09. Likely iMovie HD.

MAC-simus, I recommend you attach a PNG or GIF image next time. Those pop up in a window when clicked on. Your PDF, at least for me, downloaded and I had to go find it. An extra step I wasn't expecting. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I'm using the most current version of iMovie.

Thinking is not the same as knowing. In any application, go to the top menu item next the the Apple symbol, click on that (Usually the application name) and the first entry is "About <application name>". Choose that. In my case for iMovie it states two things, iMovie '09, and Version 8.0.2 (741). That is the information you need to post.

In your case, review the "Adding background music to your movie" tutorial. Also note my "Clip Trimmer" comment above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.