Power Mac G4 won't recognize hard drives

Reaction score
I have a Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 867 that I had installed additional hard drives into. The original hard drive (my boot up drive) was a IBM Deskstar (about 60 GB size). I also had another IBM Deskstar (80 GB) running off the motherboard behind the 60 GB drive, and a Maxtor (128 GB) and Maxtor (300 GB) running off of a Ultra ATA 133 Dual Channel PCI card. All 4 drives were accessible and running great for several months, when the 60 GB IBM Deskstar drive started making clicking sounds when starting up even though S.M.A.R.T. drive technology said it was verified. The computer will no longer boot up from the 60 GB drive, but I can boot up from the 300 GB Maxtor drive (Mac OS X Tiger) but can only see the 300 GB drive and the 128 GB drive on the desktop and using Apple Disk Utility or Prosoft's Drive Genius 2. Could anyone tell me how I could get the 60 GB and 80 GB drives recognized again? Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums Michael.

That clicking sound is not good. IBM Deskstar drives were known far and wide as 'Deathstar' when the clicking started. Do a Google on Deathstar. It may well be they have died.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.