Magic Mouse Pairing Problem after Battery Change

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, Snow Leopard, 1TB HD, 8GB, 3.06 GHz
I'm a newbie to Mac and just had to change my magic mouse batteries for the first time. Once I did so, the mouse wouldn't pair with the computer. I tried to check the bluetooth settings, but I couldn't (of course) since the mouse was not yet functional. I tried to restart using the power button, and a message informed me that System Preferences was open and preventing restart (I didn't open Sys. Pref.). At this point, the Bluetooth manager window came on (underneath the Sys. Pref. window) and attempted to connect but just kept running without connecting. I had to resort to unplugging the computer--once it restarted after reconnecting to the outlet, the mouse paired as it should and everything seems fine. After the fact, I found out that I can use Command-Option-Esc to force quit (could have probably done so with Sys. Pref). But I'm wondering why this problem might have occurred in the first place and how to avoid it. Thanks for any input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
Yes the same thing happened to me. What is the best procedure to change the batteries in the mouse and have the computer recognize it automatically?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, Snow Leopard, 1TB HD, 8GB, 3.06 GHz
I would suppose you could shut down the computer prior to changing the batteries, but I don't see why that should be necessary--there must be a way to avoid a freeze. Hoping someone has an answer.

Reaction score
This has been a constant source of frustration... the indignity of plugging in a Microsoft mouse to enable the Apple one...

I found the answer staring at me in the manual...:

"You may have to click your Apple Magic Mouse once to reconnect it with your Mac."

Doh! :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do as our staff member says. Turn off, change batteries, turn on mouse, boot. The boot process activates Bluetooth and it will find your Magic Mouse.

Reaction score
I've had a magic mouse for a long time. After you change the batteries, just click the mouse & it will re-pair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Big Sur V.11.2.3 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2019) 3.1GHz 6 Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB DDR4 SSD,
I just turn my Magic Mouse off when I see the battery level getting below 20%, change batteries, switch it back on and click the mouse to re-pair. Works every time for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.