Is this a good deal?? 500gb Ext. HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
It's an ok deal, except you can get the Firewire version for $149, WD MyBook Premium Edition. Mine is fine so far, but some people swear against using WD. I got mine at Costco so I can always return it, no questions asked, if anything goes wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've heard of some issues with Macs and the MyBook, but that was a while ago and they very well could have solved the problem.

I have no compatibility issues with the WD Passport, and I've owned several WD drives without having any problems.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Same as Kash, have heard some issues, but there are a lot of people using the WD MyBook series with their Mac's. So, the negatives I've read do not dissaude me from these drives. And, have to say, I personally like WD drives, especially their enterprise class drives. The price is below newegg's right now, so that's probably as good as it gets.

If you're ready to purchase, you should at least consider getting a FW400 compatible drive. You can check out this thread from when I was looking for an external - just scroll down to the last post - have some actual timed comparison transfer rates posted there. At least you'll be able to make an informed decision as to whether the extra wait times are worth the cash savings for you or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
I haven't had any problems with the 500GB Mybook that i have. I have the premium with the firewire/usb ports. At the time it was $179 when i bought mine, now it's $149 or $159CAD at costco. It's well worth it whn the time comes that you have to back up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.