Gray X on hard drive icon

Reaction score
Hi I am new to Mac, I just bought a G5 I Mac off eBay. It's supposed to have Leopard installed. When I turn it on a white screen with the Apple symbol and the timer circle comes on but that's as far as it gets. When I start it again holding the option key down the screen with 3 icons comes up. The first icon is a arrow going in a circle the middle one is a hard drive icon with a gray X on it, the third one is a right arrow. I can't click on any of the icons. A clock is on the far left side. When the clock runs for a bit it goes back to the white screen. Thanks Don

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you receive the Leopard install DVD with the G5 or the original install recovery disks? You're going to need that in order to repair or install the OS. It appears that you don't have an operating system on the machine or the hard drive may be defective. Either way you're going to need the disks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.