If you switched, try Quicksilver for keyboard shortcuts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel
I've had my iMac for two weeks now. I'm starting to get use to the new GUI. MOF, at work I find myself looking at the left side of a window to close it instead of the right side of a Windows.

But I've been missing being able to launch a program easily using the keyboard only. Of course I might be missing a keyboard shortcut for this. Anyways, I finally downloaded Quicksilver this weekend. And it is great. I just hit Ctrl-Space and type a few letters of the program I want to open and hit Enter and there we go. I'm looking forward to learning more about this program.

So, if you are longing for using the keyboard only, this is the program to get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
You should make a member review after you qualify in post count..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
thanks soo much for that, i have to say that this is the only feature i miss from winblows/linux :)

K

Kokopelli

Oh yeah, I love QuickSilver. Also be sure to check out triggers for your more common apps/functions and the various plugins.

I can not even picture having a Mac without QuickSilver anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Yeah, Quicksilver is awesome, I've been using it since last summer and was real happy that they included Tiger support.

The only problem I have is that when I logout or restart my Mac, the shortcut keys get re-assigned back to Spotlight and I have to go into the Spotlight preference pane and uncheck the shortcuts.

U

UncSki1218

Quicksilver is pretty sick. But, if you have tiger, spotlight can do almost the same thing. Just press: command, space, type the first few letters, and the down arrow once. This brings you to the top hit for your search. It is almost always what you want. Then just press enter to open it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel
rberry88 said:
The only problem I have is that when I logout or restart my Mac, the shortcut keys get re-assigned back to Spotlight and I have to go into the Spotlight preference pane and uncheck the shortcuts.
Hmmm. I don't have that trouble. But I have Spotlight as Command-Space. And Quicksilver as Control-Space.

PowerBook G4 said:
You should make a member review after you qualify in post count..
I'm not very good at writing reviews but you never know. I think it's going to take me awhile to learn what all Quicksilver can do. I have this feeling I just scratch the surface of what it is capable of doing.

inflexion said:
thanks soo much for that, i have to say that this is the only feature i miss from winblows/linux
You're Welcome. Yeah, I got pretty good at not using the mouse on my PC. But like UncSki218 says...Spotlight does almost the same thing in Tiger. The only thing different is the use of the down arrow key. And I haven't found a way to empty the trash with Spotlight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
rberry88 said:
Yeah, Quicksilver is awesome, I've been using it since last summer and was real happy that they included Tiger support.

i totally agree. I only use quicksilver to launch my apps, but i am sure it could do a lot more if i wanted it to.

Anyway, i am having the same problems with spotlight and quicksilver. I have read on apples disscusion pages about others having this problem and at first we thought it was mighty mouse related but it seems not to be now. and it is not a quicksilver problem as launchbar is doing the same thing. I have quicksilver set to command space and that screws with spotlight.

A "work around" ( but not really) is to put System Prefs. as a startup item and change the settings when SP starts up. Thats what i do and it "works." I realize i could just change my keyboard shortcut for quicksilver but once you get use to one it is really hard to get use to another one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
And I haven't found a way to empty the trash with Spotlight.

Just Command-Tab to the finder and then hit Command-Shift-Backspace to delete the trash.

Quicksilver does indeed rule. I also have set F1, F2, F3 as Previous, Play/pause, Next song commands and it is so handy, especially since iTunes doesn't have to be active to use them.

I use Command+Enter as my quicksilver command...

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel
Aptmunich said:
Just Command-Tab to the finder and then hit Command-Shift-Backspace to delete the trash.
Thanks!! I'll give it a try and see if I like it better. Hopefully when David Pogue's book "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Tiger Ed" arrives it'll start clearing up some stuff for me. Like shortcuts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.