is it okay to leave the charger plugged into my computer while using it?

Reaction score
Hello!

I just purchased a macbook the other day, and this is the first mac computer that I've ever owned. I have noticed that the battery life isn't super great, and is only about 4 hours. I was just wondering if it is okay to leave the charger plugged into my computer while using it. I just wanted to make sure before I do it so i don't mess anything up.

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Mine sits at my desk most of the day, plugged in. The only time it comes off external power is when I don't have a plug socket nearby. I get 4-5 hours running lots of minor apps plus photoshop, premiere pro etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Four hours is not bad. When ipod and cell phone batteries last for hours and hours, it's easy to forget that laptop batteries are under a lot more stress so they don't last as long.

You can leave the computer plugged in all the time, it won't affect the battery. But when you are running on battery, you should turn down the screen brightness, turn off Bluetooth etc to save on battery life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
If you leave your laptop plugged in all the time your battery will deteriorate negatively.

I know because I made that mistake on a laptop a while back.

If you do not use it off the mains the Lith particles will not all be free flowing, the only way you can do this is by actually using them.

In essence though you should do at least one full discharge of the battery every month.

Your battery should give the same performance and not deteriorate for a around 2-3 years.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Agreed with the posters above - 4 hours with a pre-Unibody Mac is quite standard. There is nothing to worry about there.

You may want to give this a read.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.