I want to buy a Macbook or Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 PowerBook, iPod Nano 8gb
I'm thinking of buying a Macbook (the white or black version) unfortunately I don't have the money for the new (aluminium and black).

I was just wondering (I've only been using a Mac for about a year) if you guys think these are ok hardware wise? I don't intend to use it for gaming just for iTunes, blogging, photos, facebook, twitter, myspace etc.

Can I install Parallels which allows Mac and Windows installed on the one machine? If the above Macbook's don't have the hardware to run Parallels, do I need to get a Macbook Pro?

Unfortunately, this is the only way I can get my husband to go for a Macbook (he'll only let me get one if he can use windows programs on it) which he needs for work, programming etc.

I guess what I'd like to know is what's the difference between a Macbook and a Macbook Pro?

I try and be technology savvy but when it comes to Mac's I don't really have a clue (I'm still learning). I've been a windows person for a very long time and the only reason I moved to Mac is because I was sick of the blue screen of death, viruses and I've wanted a Mac for a while but found them a bit out of my price range etc. but I love Mac and I really want to know more. I will never go back to windows!

I'd appreciate your advice/suggestions on which macbook or macbook pro is best for what I need. Also re: Parallels (is that program any good or is it a complete waste of money?).

What are the minimum hardware requirements to use Parallels?

Many thanks,
Karen

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Parallels is pretty good. It will run on the MacBook but try and get at least 2GB of RAM.

The are two real differences between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro, the MacBook Pro has larger screen and a much better graphics card. I don't think that you need a MacBook Pro. I would try and buy the current version of the MacBook as the older ones didn't have a good graphics card and the current white MacBook has a much better card. I don't think you will find one secondhand as they have just came out.

OP
letterfromegypt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your advice B&O. I'll look into it :)

Reaction score
I would NOT install Windows through parallels if you are going to use it for heavy programs. For example: 3D will totally NOT work through parallels.
Though, Apple has this program delivered free with your iMac or MacBook which is called "BootCamp".
In Bootcamp, you make a partition which is ready to get windows installed on.
Then, as soon as windows is installed, you can keep the alt-key pressed and you get a dualboot screen, where you can choose the windows or the Mac OS X partition.
In Windows, you can install all the drivers with one click, because they're on the Mac OS X install-cd.
The pro of this way is that Windows is using the whole machine, every little bit of the graphicscard etc.
If you run Windows in parallels; most of the computer's power will be used to run OS X and parallels, which runs Windows on his time. So you lose a lot of the power :)

Short: Windows is installable on the macbook, through parallels (VMware) and bootcamp, but bootcamp makes your mac a complete windowspc, while parallels stays in OS X and makes a virtual windowspc.

Good luck choosing! I found it hard ;)

OP
letterfromegypt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks RobbertV.

I think I'd prefer Parallels rather than BootCamp.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would NOT install Windows through parallels if you are going to use it for heavy programs. For example: 3D will totally NOT work through parallels.
Though, Apple has this program delivered free with your iMac or MacBook which is called "BootCamp".
In Bootcamp, you make a partition which is ready to get windows installed on.
Then, as soon as windows is installed, you can keep the alt-key pressed and you get a dualboot screen, where you can choose the windows or the Mac OS X partition.
In Windows, you can install all the drivers with one click, because they're on the Mac OS X install-cd.
The pro of this way is that Windows is using the whole machine, every little bit of the graphicscard etc.
If you run Windows in parallels; most of the computer's power will be used to run OS X and parallels, which runs Windows on his time. So you lose a lot of the power :)

Short: Windows is installable on the macbook, through parallels (VMware) and bootcamp, but bootcamp makes your mac a complete windowspc, while parallels stays in OS X and makes a virtual windowspc.

Good luck choosing! I found it hard ;)
The latest parallels runs 3D intensive apps fine. I think it has Direct X 10 support now.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is the newest version that was just recently released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Yeah, but it will still run much faster if running natively with Boot Camp.

OP
letterfromegypt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help. Any idea on what could be wrong with my aluminium numeric keypad because it won't work unless I login to my Mac as Admin?

Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it is within the topic.

I assume it is possible to have both Bootcamp and Parralels installed. Does this run off the same Windows program? Or, is Windows installed twice, one for BC and the other for Parralels?

In other words, if you have both running do you to duplicate all the programs installed or are they running from the same source?

****Never mind, I found the answer. That is what happens when reading a post and having a question pop into your mind without doing a search first. As far as I can tell, it's possible but not the easiest. Guess I would just have to choose one****

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.