• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

So disappointed with AT&T

Reaction score
I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with AT&T.... since July 2008. I currently have an iPhone 5. Since November AT&T has been telling me that they were extending FaceTime Over Cellular to ALL customers... even those with a grandfathered unlimited data plan. :Not-Amused: Now all of a sudden I am being told that is not true.:Not-Amused:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you've ever had anyone tell you that Facetime would come to the grandfathered plans they didn't know what they were talking about.

Have 2 phones grandfathered - that plan does not offer that service - that plan also has to pay an extra fee for texting while it is included in the new limited plans.

The reps I have talked to here in the DFW area have been very consistent related to Facetime and if you want it, you will have to switch to a limited plan.
Sucks to be us.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I would trade my ability to Face Time over cellular for unlimited data any day! But I guess it depends on your priorities. It's one or the other, you make the choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I am on Verizon and can FaceTime on cellular with my grandfathered unlimited plan, try calling AT&T and see what they have to say.

C

chas_m

Let's first understand that AT&T wants you to give up that grandfathered plan. Very badly. So they are not going to do ANYTHING whatsoever to make it attractive or easy to stay with your plan.

Now that that's understood ...

Ask yourself how often you really NEED to do FaceTime when there's no Wi-Fi nearby. Maybe your circumstances are different, but where I live (in a modest-sized though capital city) there's barely any need for cellular data at all! Nearly everywhere I go we have Wi-Fi; my house, friends' house, every coffeeshop and cafe, all of the downtown core, the mall, etc.

On top of that, FT burns through data like almost nothing else, so unless your plan was incredibly generous it would again be an option you'd only want to use sparingly if at all.

Only you know your situation but if there's Wi-Fi nearby where you usually are, I'd suggest sticking with the grandfathered plan and saving FaceTime for Wi-Fi only (better quality anyway, unless you'e on LTE).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Both Sprint and Verizon have allowed FaceTime to all users.

AT&T - no FaceTime, no tethering, and no texting without paying extra for the privilege to anyone that still has the unlimited plan.

Think I will go visit T-Mobile today.

OP
M
Reaction score
If you've ever had anyone tell you that Facetime would come to the grandfathered plans they didn't know what they were talking about.

Have 2 phones grandfathered - that plan does not offer that service - that plan also has to pay an extra fee for texting while it is included in the new limited plans.

The reps I have talked to here in the DFW area have been very consistent related to Facetime and if you want it, you will have to switch to a limited plan.
Sucks to be us.

I was told on at least two separate occasions ..... by two different reps.....that my grandfathered in unlimited data plan was eligible for FaceTime Over Cellular

OP
M
Reaction score
I am on Verizon and can FaceTime on cellular with my grandfathered unlimited plan, try calling AT&T and see what they have to say.

I doubt they are going to do anything for me .... but I suppose I can give it a try. But switching to Verizon the next time I update my iPhone is starting to look better and better. It

OP
M
Reaction score
Let's first understand that AT&T wants you to give up that grandfathered plan. Very badly. So they are not going to do ANYTHING whatsoever to make it attractive or easy to stay with your plan.

Now that that's understood ...

Ask yourself how often you really NEED to do FaceTime when there's no Wi-Fi nearby. Maybe your circumstances are different, but where I live (in a modest-sized though capital city) there's barely any need for cellular data at all! Nearly everywhere I go we have Wi-Fi; my house, friends' house, every coffeeshop and cafe, all of the downtown core, the mall, etc.

On top of that, FT burns through data like almost nothing else, so unless your plan was incredibly generous it would again be an option you'd only want to use sparingly if at all.

Only you know your situation but if there's Wi-Fi nearby where you usually are, I'd suggest sticking with the grandfathered plan and saving FaceTime for Wi-Fi only (bett
er quality anyway, unless you'e on LTE).

You are probably correct .. they want me to give up my unlimited data plan. Do I REALLY need to have FaceTime Over Cellular? The answer is probably not. However, it would have been nice to be able to use it on a limited basis when I was no where near Wi-Fi.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was told on at least two separate occasions ..... by two different reps.....that my grandfathered in unlimited data plan was eligible for FaceTime Over Cellular

Don't doubt that for a second.

I am also sure that half (or more) of the reps don't know nearly as much as they should about the devices nor the plans they're selling. Sort of like going to Best Buy and expecting their sales staff to be able to answer questions related to computers, TVs, etc. Not gonna happen.

OP
M
Reaction score
Both Sprint and Verizon have allowed FaceTime to all users.

AT&T - no FaceTime, no tethering, and no texting without paying extra for the privilege to anyone that still has the unlimited plan.

I have to seriously think about switching to Verizon the next time I update my iPhone. I think the thing that makes me so angry is that I feel I was lied to. I SPECIFICALLY kept asking if my grandfathered-in- unlimited data plan was eligible. I was told by two or three different reps that it WAS!! They should have been honest with me from the beginning.

AT&T .. might want me to switch out of my unlimited data plan. They may very well have succeeded in getting me to switch ...... to VERIZON. AT&T obviously does not appreciate my business or loyalty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The bad part if you or I switch from the grandfathered plan to any of their other plans to get FT or Tethering it will cost more technically you get less way to go AT&T.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Simple really. You can leave them, jailbreak, or use your plan as you ORIGINALLY agreed upon when signing your contract.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

I'm tempted. But I keep thinking about the cost of two iPhone 5s and the monthly fees to pay for those beauties plus data for two lines. May not have any choice though... my wife's brother and his wife keep showing off their iPhones to my wife. ;P

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're goose is cooked buddy. Might as well cave in gracefully.

Is there a birthday, anniversary etc. soon that you could use as an excuse? You didn't "cave" you got a nice present.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, our anniversary isn't until this November. Not sure I can hold out that long though. I keep telling her that Apple is going to come out with the iPhone 5s soon and we should wait. O:)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I didn't go - after comparing the rates - the T-Mobile plan for unlimited is $120/mth for 2 phones - only $10 less than we pay AT&T. Then add on $40/mth for the 2 phones which we can get for free by extending our service another 2 years at AT&T (from the 10yrs we've already been with them) makes T-Mobile $30/mth more than AT&T. Doesn't make a lot of sense either unless I'm really going to start using FaceTime, tethering &/or texts. And it looks like you only get 500MB of tethering with the T-Mobile unlimited plan.

My personal opinion, there is no treason in the world all these providers need $100+ per month for 2 phones. They're all a big gigantic ripoff.

Am trying to hold out for next phone also - my 3GS phones are still working quite beautifully.
Would really like a better camera in mine though.

Am thinking it might be a lot cheaper to go with 2 dumb phones and get 1 iPad mini with cellular for $30/mth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Am thinking it might be a lot cheaper to go with 2 dumb phones and get 1 iPad mini with cellular for $30/mth.

That is exactly what we are doing when my iPhone 4 contract comes up this summer. We have two Moto RAZR V3's that work extremely well as phones - go figure. Neither my wife nor I use our phones as a music box, a TV or use any mobile social media type stuff. An iPad Mini with WiFi to share for checking emails, weather, track packages, etc... (for me at work during the day, and her at night when she's at class) is all we really need. We can pull a monthly cellular fee if we go on the road or visit relatives.
We felt so relieved when we cut combined cable TV + internet back from $180 to $90 a month - $1000 saved a year. We are giddy to cut cellular in half as well and save about the same amount per year. It's like a $2000 a year raise after taxes! We hope to sell the two old iPhones for enough to buy a refurbished Mini WiFi + Cellular this summer; so no money out for a new device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '07 MB v10.7~2.16GHz C2D~3GB 667MHz~Intel GMA 950 64MB
I personally would go with Sprint. I never owned an iPhone (Android user, would love an iPhone though) and when I had a contract with Sprint, I could do as much downloading, Hotspot, and surfing as I wanted to on cellular data, and way cheaper than Verizon (although I do like Verizon's variety of phones!)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't checked Sprint's pricing lately but the last time I did, I was not impressed. And having been a previous Sprint customer some years ago, I'm apprehensive about doing any business with them because of their poor customer support.

None of the carriers are perfect; and that goes for AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, as well as Sprint. But at least we have more competition in the US for the iPhone than before when only AT&T had it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.