• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do you guys think I should go with this deal?

P

PhantomOSX

I was looking around to buy a cheap but good mac, when I found a nice new 1Ghz eMac on Yahoo Auctions. So I bid on it and win the bid for $368.

The shipping is free and it's brand new in the box according to description. But I don't like the seller's responses to my emails. No matter how many questions I ask him, he only seems to respond to one or two questions, and usually with one word.

For example:

I say:
"Hello,

I have just won the eMac you had auctioned at Yahoo.

I've noticed that you state it's free shipping.

Could you tell me more details about the eMac?

Specific specs, video card, how new is it, etc?

Could I also have your phone number?

Do you take PayPal instead of the listed payment types?

I will send the money as soon as the above is met.

Thank you for the auction and I look forward to the product."

He Says:
"I also use directpaycash.com for payments to: [email protected] . if
this is good let me know
thanks"

--Typical, going straight to talking about money rather than answering my questions.

I say:
"May you tell me more about the eMac (full specs),"

He says:
"its new in the box."

I ask:
"May I have your phone number as well, incase needed?

Also, when did you buy it? Why did you plan to sell it? It does
include 1 GB of RAM like stated correct? Do you have any pics of it?"

--He then gives his phone number, and his last name in another email. Completely avoiding to answer the full question about the Gig of RAM and pics, etc.

What do you guys think? Should I go with the deal or what? Is there any specific precautions I should take? I already searched for this guy's contact info on Google and have only found other auction sites where he posted stuff, both on Yahoo and the other one I found he has no feedback. This is a heck of a deal if it's true but I don't know. Any help will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Well, a decent rule of thumb is that if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I've had a bad experience buying a Mac from an auction site, and have dealt with numerous bad sellers, so I'd take a cautious approach here. First, call him and ask him to answer all of your questions, and definitely have him send you photos. Also look into Yahoo's fraud policy, and try to insist on Paypal (although even Paypal's protection policies aren't the greatest). Out of curiosity, do you have a link to the auction?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Generally, if someone is selling a tangible item, he/she posts pictures of the item. I don't bid on anything that doesn't have any pictures. Not only is it helpful for frame of reference when you receive the item (screen cracked, but the picture shows new) it's nice to see that the item actually exists.

Even a Buy Now price of $500 seems low. He posted pictures of a Compaq 7400 laptop, why couldn't he post the pictures of the eMac?

Don't waste your money on this one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.