Kernel Panic

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've got a Powerbook G4 running Tiger which has died after the battery ran out while it was hibernating. When I try and boot the machine now it never gets past the first screen before the kernel panic message appears. I am also unable to boot from the DVD drive, or from a firewire drive. I can, however, boot it up in firewire mode and access the hard drive from another mac.

I tried the following solutions while connected from another Mac: fixed the hard disk and file permissions; rebuilt the hard disk using Diskwarrior and then did an archive and restore of the Operating system. None of these resolved the issue.

I have come to the conclusion that his must be a problem with the firmware on the machine that controls the boot process or something along these lines. Is there any way I can replace the firmware, or tackle this issue while connected from another machine in firewire mode?

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks in advance.

M

MacHeadCase

Hi danton and welcome to Mac-Forums.

Can you run the Hardware Test in Extended Mode on your PowerBook while it is in Target Disk Mode? Other than that, I'm not sure what you can do right now. Sounds a lot like a hardware problem but maybe the system is very corrupted too. Maybe you could try a reinstall from the other Mac in Target Disk Mode. But that's about all you could do at this point, I'm afraid, apart from taking it in for repairs.

OP
danton
Reaction score
MacHeadCase: I was able to run the hardware test directly from the OS X disk in the Powerbook and it found no hardware problems. The issue seems to be limited to the boot process itself. The kernel panic appears only after I try to boot the machine from any medium (hard disk, external DVD, or firewire drive). I am able to log into the OS while it is in target disk mode, but can never boot the machine itself in anything other than target disk mode.

Mr Bobbins: I'll take a look at the power management system in order to see if that makes any difference, although I have reset the pram more than once since this issue first raised its ugly head...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.