Number pad or not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5", iPhone 4
Ordering my first mac this week.

I'm going for the 21.5" imac. These now come with wireless keyboard as standard (the one without numeric keypad). I work with numbers A LOT and will be automatically reaching for the numeric keypad all the time.

Should I just select the wired keyboard with numpad, or get it with the wireless one, add an extra wired keyboard to the order and put the wireless one on ebay (BNIB) and make a small profit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I think for you, you will miss the number pad, as you are used to it being there and actually using it.
I never use it!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are you familiar with the thin aluminum Apple keyboard? Some folks like them, some don't.

If you're not familiar with them, maybe just stick with the wireless keyboard that comes with the iMac, use it for a bit, and if you like it, then get the wired keyboard with the number pad later.

If you don't like it, then you could sell the wireless keyboard on eBay, and get a keyboard (non-Apple) you do like.

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5", iPhone 4
I like the thin apple keyboard, but I think I'm going to really need the numberpad. I use a PC laptop all day for work and HAVE to have a usb keypad plugged into it, otherwise I'd go mad.

Is the wired Apple keyboard with Numpad a thin aluminium one?

The wireless one is £55 on Apple site, the wired one is £28. So I recon, order the iMac with the wireless keyboard thrown in for no extra cost, then add a wired keyboard to the order. Then bang the wireless one on ebay. Unless anyone here wants it? Might post a thread in the for sale...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I like the thin apple keyboard, but I think I'm going to really need the numberpad. I use a PC laptop all day for work and HAVE to have a usb keypad plugged into it, otherwise I'd go mad.

Is the wired Apple keyboard with Numpad a thin aluminium one?

The wireless one is £55 on Apple site, the wired one is £28. So I recon, order the iMac with the wireless keyboard thrown in for no extra cost, then add a wired keyboard to the order. Then bang the wireless one on ebay. Unless anyone here wants it? Might post a thread in the for sale...

As far as I know (just checked the Apple Store)...all of the "Apple branded" keyboards are the "thin aluminum" type (they also sell other brands of keyboards).

If you already know that you like this style keyboard, and it definitely sounds like you need/want a numeric keypad, then sure, definitely get the wired keyboard with the numeric keypad.

If also looks like the price difference is almost 2x between the wireless & wired keyboard in the UK (in the U.S. it's $49 vs. $69 dollars)...so definitely then sell the wireless keyboard, and recoup some money.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.