Noob iPad2 Queries?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13", 1 GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1GHz,iPod Classic 30GB, iPad 2 WiFi 32GB
Hello folks,

Just got my new iPad2 WiFi 32GB yesterday. :) Am already using Macbook for about four years, just want to get few information about iPads. Firstly trying to download Mozilla Version 4 but Safari is unable to download. Not a Mozilla fan but certain banking websites csn be accessed only on Mozilla!! So got to have that in my iPad. Secondly, I wish to have games and other applications? Now that gaming center in iPad I guess just manages the games, there are'nt any games there to play? How can I get games for kids? Thanks for reading and helping me out.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Don't believe there is a version of Firefox for the iPad..can you try a different browser? Like Opera?

GameCenter is basically for keeping track of your achievements and for finding people to play games against..

You get games/apps for the iPad or any other iOS device through the iTunes Store. So fire up iTunes, choose the Store on the left and then choose Apps from the top bar when the iTunes Store opens up. You'll also see a selection of iPhone/iPad that will allow you to only look at games/apps for the iPad..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately, Firefox is simply not available for the iPad and iPhone. You could use a browser like Atomic Web Browser and spoof the agent, basically making the browser pretend to be Firefox.

Game Center basically synchronizes your game status and applies a social element to gaming. It is not for downloading games.

You will download your games and apps from the App Store, which should be located on your home screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Your iPad isn't like a Mac. It runs iOS so you can't just download programs to it - the place to get programs is in the Appstore.

I don't know of any pure Mozilla builds on the Appstore - but there are plenty of Browsers on the Appstore - some that even support flash. I don't know what websites you are trying to go to but if they are flashed based then you need to buy one of the flash capable browsers (iswifter, skyfire, cloudbrowse, etc)

Games are also available from the appstore. The game center is like xbox live or psn - a place where games can hook up to to share scores, connect with friends, etc, it isn't a game in itself.

Consider getting appshopper - great app for discovering apps.
iPad Apps, iPhone Apps, Deals and Discovery at App Shopper - Popular Recent Changes for iOS

Appstart is a good overview app - for apps
AppStart for iPad for iPad on the iTunes App Store

edit:typing too slow this morning

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13", 1 GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1GHz,iPod Classic 30GB, iPad 2 WiFi 32GB
Thank you vey much folks, will try out different browser options. As or the games I'll check out the App Store. Guess will come back with more sooner or later.... Thanks a ton as for now.

C

chas_m

Sorry, I missed the part where there was anything whatsoever wrong with Mobile Safari. Why precisely are you looking for a different browser again?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No issues with Safari but certain encrypted websites do not open using Safari.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try idbi netbanking , let me know if anyone is able to crack it. One more query (sounds pretty weird although), I see practically all apple users having stickers put underneath their respectiver gadgets. Now the apple logo is already there, why an additional sticker on top of it? I have got the smart cover for the iPad, but that does cover the full iPad. Let me know your thoughts thanks...

C

chas_m

I'm able to do my banking (credit union) on an iPad, it's awkward not having a hard keyboard however. Unless your bank is using Flash in some way I can't see why it wouldn't work, Mobile Safari has all the same security protocols as regular Safari.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 2's virtual keyboard is pretty good, just got to get little used to it. As for my banking applications I am also not able to access it in the Macbook Safari. Have installed Mozilla for my banking solutions. Actually its quite weird, I always thought Safari is the most upto date browser in terms of technology. Maybe the bank is using Flash but guess there still has to be a way to go about it. Anyways.. thanks for all the info.

C

chas_m

Just to be clear, Mac Safari can handle Flash just fine, so that's probably not the issue.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll try Opera or Terra for my net banking in iPad or maybe some other browsers. I am already using the smart cover for the iPad. The lower part is still exposed and susceptible to scratches. Is it a good idea to use a file type leather cover (like the iPad 1 type). I live in a warm and humid place. Hope it does not get strangled if covered fully ?? Let me know your opinions.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Terra did the job for me!

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks chas m, yeah the covers are good, like them but guess will not get them here at my place easily. Int'l shipping will kill me. Belkin and Case Logic are amongst the few brands available... btw how do you rate the jacket style cover vs the sleeve style?

C

chas_m

It really depends on how often you might need to take the iPad out of its covering. There are a number of peripherals for the iPad that are nifty-keen, but are designed assuming the iPad will either be out of a case or in a VERY thin skin in order to work (like Apple's own iPad dock as an example).

I'm currently using a folio-style case and since I don't use the dock for charging anyway, it's access to all ports and buttons is perfectly adequate for me.

The two vendors I linked to in my previous post are but two examples. Try a Google search on "iPad accessories (name of country) and see if that produces vendors that can ship to you more affordably.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.